Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sandblast Cabinet Coating
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sandblast Cabinet Coating

I'm building a sandblast cabinet out of some very nice plywood at school. The plywood has a thin sheet of veneer on top of it (it is designed for building kitchen cabinets). It is coming along great. All the joints are smooth and it looks like a professional built it. I am concerned that the veneer sheet will wear off over time due to the sand hitting the walls of the cabinet when in use. I'm getting graded on this for looks and finish. I'll be using clear lacquer on the outside surfaces. But what about the inside? I need a material which will go on smooth and be hard as a rock when finished - I want to be able to protect the grain of the wood, not just paint over top of it. Is there any material out there that will suffice for the job? By the way, you have to be very careful when sanding the plywood because if you sand too much, you sand through the veneer and into the layer of plywood underneath it - this is why I am concerned that sandblasting will just eat through the veneer after the first use.

Any opinions?