Sandblast Cabinet Window - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sandblast Cabinet Window

I purchased a small benchtop sandblast cabinet a while back. It is a Clarke model. The window is Lexan or plexiglass. It came with three clear plastic covers that stuck on the inside of the window to protect it. It got cloudly all around the covers from blasting and I replaced the window with Lexan from a local hardware store. I can purchase more of the clear plastic covers from where I got the blast cabinet (3 for $10). I wanted to post and ask what does everyone else do?

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

I would think a piece of glass would give you the best view. The stick on covers would be needed to keep it from damage. TP tools sells the covers. Shawn
Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

I have one of those small cabinets that I use quite often and what I do is to line the inside with a clear food wrap like saran (sp?) wrap. My cabinet has a bunch of hours on it now and the plexi-glass window has more scratches on the outside than on the inside, except around the edges. Just clean the inside of the plexi-glass with soapy water, dry thoroughly and apply the food wrap leaving enough room around the edges to secure it with tape, use ONLY extended release tape! The wrap will last longer than you might imagine and sticks to the plexi-glass quite well then when it does start to get cloudy and sag in the middle just replace it with another piece. No longer than they last 3 for $10 is a ridiculous price for those cheap plastic covers.

I too briefly considered using a sheet of glass but that just seems like it might be very dangerous besides I doubt the glass would last much, if any, longer than the plexi-glass.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Last journal entry: Off to the painter
Last photo:

I have found that the clear packing tape works great on my blast cabinet and it is a lot cheaper than the plastic sheets.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Clear packing tape? You mean like the 2" wide stuff? I had not thought about that but I have a bunch of it, that might work better than the food wrap if it don't leave a residue after removal. Those 3 for $10 cover sheets sure are a joke and are mostly a waste of time as the last one's I had I went though them all in about a half hour, the saran wrap lasts a lot longer than that! The reason mine didn't last long was that the media stuck right to them and it was impossible to clean them off without ruining them, whatever plastic they were made of was ridiculously soft!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

We have a couple larger blast cabinets at work and I order clear polycarbinate film from McMaster Carr. I order 2'x4' sheets of it and cut it down to the size that I need, which is 1'x2' so that works out good. These blast cabinets get used for production 5 days a week and the film last for about 2 weeks before it gets too cloudy to use.

the link to the stuff I use is:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#85585k72/=bk856

Its about $4.00 a sheet, and if your worried about the extra cost of shipping I'm sure you could use a box of bolts or a couple taps or somthing so you not just paying shipping for a couple sheets of plastic....

Hope this helps

Talk to you later

bye
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Last journal entry: Off to the painter
Last photo:

Tape

Thats exactly what I use, the 2"wide stuff, it will sometimes leave some residue but I have a glass window on mine and it comes off easily with a littel acetone and a rag.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Thanks alot. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something. I'll try both.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.