Sandblast cost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sandblast cost?

i was just wanting an idea of how much it would cost to have the engine compartment of a 66 mustang sandblasted and can they do it with out ruining the rest of my car?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

It really would not be a very good idea to sandblast unless the engine is out and the engine compartment is stripped, I assume the engine is out but you did'nt say. Why do you need to sandblast? rust? or just old paint and crud? You may be better off to just clean and paint. If the engine compartment is stripped then it would not be difficult to do it your self if you have access to a compressor of about 3HP or larger(the bigger the compressor the better) and a $20-$30 suction blaster from wal-mart will work. It should not cost a lot to have it done if the car is prepped for it but that is the biggest part of the job. I sandblasted the engine compartment and underside of the body on my second 64-1/2 mustang back in the summer but mine was stripped and down for a rebuild. If you do decide to blast then you can safely blast the firewall, fender aprons,radiator support and frame parts but DO NOT attempt to sandblast the hood underside or any other flat panel as it will warp beyond repair from the force of the sandblaster.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
DO NOT attempt to sandblast the hood underside or any other flat panel as it will warp beyond repair from the force of the sandblaster.
If done properly it will not warp. As far as price goes it varies from individual to individual. It could be $35.00 or it could be $135.00. It depends on the time it takes and the amount of material used. Instead of sandblasting shop around for someone that does media blasting. The materials vary from aluminum oxide, to walnut shells and quite a few in between. One thing to remember is any undercoating and such will not be affected by the blasting technique. So if you have some that needs removed, either chemically remove it or scrape the majority off first.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:18 PM

yeah the engine is out of the car, i just wanted it sandblasted because of junk that has built up on it over the years i steam cleaned and attempted to sand it but i didnt know if it would be easier just to have it sandblasted, the main thing that i would want cleaned up good is the parts of the frame that you can see, fender aprons, radiator support i would also like to do the firewall but it has undercoating on it, i think i would just like to paint it instead of undercoat it. also i have heard that sandblasting can cause alot of damage to other things, as the sand will get into evrything else on the car, would having it sandblasted ruin the rest of the car?
Old 01-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Sandblasting a hood is not a good idea for an inexperienced blaster that is why I suggested not to do it as even a pro will find it tricky. I know it can be done but you had better know EXACTLY how to do it before you try or you could very well end up buying a new hood. Yes the sand does find its way into just about everything if you are not careful but with a little forethought it should not be a problem if you mask the fenders,cowl,windshield etc. just as you would for paint. A sandblasted and properly primed and painted surface will look like new but you need to get everything out of the way. Don't blast your wiring and definitely do not blast your brake lines!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Kevin, "If done properly" is a door wide enough for a 747 to go thru. Just slightly under "If done properly", you know, "Not quite properly" you have DESTROYED the hood.

I will continue to tell anyone who asks "can I?" DO NOT SANDBLAST ANY BODY PANELS, FRONT OR BACK!!!! And if I had larger font size to use, I would use it. There is NOTHING like quite like the IRREPARABLE damage a sandblaster can do. I have seen pros do it, I have seen newbes do it, I have seen super large 25 hp compressors do it, I have seen little one hp "beach ball filler" compressors do it.

If you are doing it successfully, great, many guys do. But to anyone who has so little expericance they have to ask "can I do it?" I will continue to sayDON'T DO IT!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

Sand blast as a last resort, less mess

Mask and cover carefully with 3mil poly all/everything but the steel work area

Steel wool , gloves and "el cheapo" brake cleaner to get rid of the grease and oil

Your engine compartment is painted with enamel if original, Jasco Premium Epoxy and Paint stripper from Lowes ($8qt) works great on enamel. Apply a heavy heavy coat let it sit 20 minutes, it goes almost dry, no mess clean up. Need a 2nd or 3rd coat, gloves and steel wool required, not enough paint left to neutralize the stripper. 2 hours, 2 quarts to strip all?

{no martinsr, I don't work for Jasco, just the best by far out of 10? I've used...no fumes, gel thick, goes neutral/barelyburns your hands}{don't get it in your belly button!!! wooo that burned!}

Next, also at Lowes , most autoparts stores, 3M "Rust and paint stripper" wheel (looks like a rice cake) to use in your drill. Flexible and excellent for all the curves BUT don't run it over an edge...it will shred. Gets all the surface rust fast and easy, leaves a perfect sanded finish on the bare steel for primer.

Now sandblast the pitted metal and small corners the wheel couldn't get to.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:01 AM

Last photo:

red65-That is a much better idea than what I suggested- I know this fellow just asked what it would cost to do this job and I am sure he intended to have someone else do it for him but he gave little info so I gave different options and pointed out a couple of the possible problems if not done right no matter who does it. Sandblasting does a great job on areas that can safely be blasted but it is a huge undertaking unless the car is completely stripped as mine was and the actual blasting is only a small part of the job. No doubt about it what you suggest is a much better idea.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

thanks oldred,

It's "almost" a refreshments and TV in the garage project with brake cleaner, stripper, and the wheel. Drag it outside to sand blast.

If you don't have a big compressor and a "firehose" sand blaster it just takes forever to strip the paint with sand. Even for small parts I go use my painter buddies "firehose".
Old 01-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Red, I am with you with the Jasco, one of the best. It works so well that when I was repping for S-W I NEVER suggested the stripper we sold. I always told the customer Jasco. I had never even used the one I sold, figured it was a waste of time. Then one day I saw a customer using it and asked him if he liked it. He said it was as good as Jasco, I found that hard to believe so I checked the MSDS on both poducts. They were the SAME! S-W boughtout the Jasco and re-labeled it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.