Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sandblast question
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Dont know if its rite or wrong but it what i was taught , if you use stripper we use aircraft stripper ,cover the panels you have stripper applied to and not working with plastic helps to keep from drying to soon ,dont get to far ahead cover one panel while working the next .as for sandpaper i use 180 to remone paint if you use finer grit 320/400 to strip paint it will cause heat that you dont need.

Very good point, details details.

You can cover it with plastic after you apply it but if you do one other thing you don't much need to. That would be you don't "Brush" it like you do paint, back and forth. You pour some out then "spread" it out ONE WAY, with the brush. Don't back stroke, spread it out one way. The reason being the gases escape when you back stroke it and open the surface again. This makes a HUGE difference in how the stripper works. And this isn't out of my head, it says so in the instructions.

Another thing is you run some very coarse paper like 36 or 40 over it well to scratch the surface so the stripper can jump right in and do it's job.

Very good point to bring up there Dave!

Brian