sandblast question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sandblast question

I have access to a 100 cfm compressor and own a clemco 60 resperator. i have several items to blast. Is it worth the money to rent a clemco or marco blast pot? I have a cheap hf blaster and am not sure if it would became a weak link in the blasting procees. With a 100 cfm compressor what would be a good nozzle size to blast with using 30 grit? And last of all roughly how many pounds of sand does it generally take to blast a mid sized car assuming no filler and 1 coat of paint.....Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
My advice is DO NOT sand blast the body panels. You can and likely will destroy one or all the panels. And we aren't talking about "Damn I have more work to do" kinda damage, we are talking "#^@& I HAVE TO BUY A NEW HOOD!" kinda damage.

Unlike the common myth that the sand blasting is causing heat to warp the panels (I too thought that for yeas. You are blowing air on the panel so it actually gets cooler, try it, I have, after sand blasting the metal is cooler.

The warpage is caused by "Mechanical compression" that being each of those pieces of sand is like a tiny hammer putting a little dent in the surface of the metal stretching it. The top surface of the metal gets larger than the lower layer and it warps.

Can you sand blast sheetmetal without warping it, yep you can. I don't see a need to see when it works and when it doesn't personally, I am going to find another way like chemical striping or sanding it off with an orbital sander which creates much less heat than a "grinder". But I wouldn't be sand blasting it.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Trucknut (03-12-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

I was looking at possible chemical stripping of the wide open areas like hood, door panels and such then using sand blasting on the areas like firewall, doorposts. I know stripper sux to get in seams. Do the professional blasting outfits have a techniqur to avoid panel distortion?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

I've even had pro's ruin panels. I don't know, I think it is more about what material you use, but sand is a no-no. There are a couple of guys on here that know a bunch about the subject let's see if they respond.

On the stripper,that I have done a ton of and have a few tips. The trick to stripper is you simply mask off what you don't want it on just as if you were painting it. Here at work we will strip the roof of a year old car leaving not a mark on the rest of it, simply my covering the car in plastic, exposing the roof by cutting it out and then adding some masking paper over the top around the top just for good measure. After it's stripped being very careful to peel the paper off as to not touch or drip it on the car and wham, done deal bare metal roof.

Seams and such you always want to cover with duct tape then after it's stripped you remove the duct tape and remove the paint and gunk in the seam with a surface conditioning disc .....

Or a "clean and strip" disc.

They work WAY better than a wire wheel.

But this is the norm, to cover up what you don't want stripped. I have even done complete cars that were assembled (no chrome and handles and stuff though) where all the door, fender, hood, trunk seams were duct taped and any other holes like antenna and handles and locks. Then remove all the tape and sand off the remaining and wham, bare metal car.

One thing I can't stress enough, if you can't really jump on this car and knock it out in a day and sand it and get it into epoxy primer I HIGHLY recommend you do a panel at a time. It takes a little more time but you don't get overwhelmed. it is VERY easy to be overwhelmed by a bare metal car sitting there. And you just can't walk away until you feel like it. So doing one panel at a time getting it back into epoxy primer then moving onto the next is a recommendation.

Brian

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The rule is sand where you can and blast where you must such as on flanges and door posts where sanding is difficult..i use the 2 inch rolocks and can get into some amazing tight spaces with those and if I need to blast I use vitrogrit in an 60/80 grit and run 40/50 psi and have not issues..blasting the whole car takes lots of media and makes more of a mess that I want to deal with..

Sam
Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

what grit would you guys recomend for sanding with a da? I definitely dont like the mess involved with sand either. I definitely like the idea of sand where you can and blast where you must. Taping seams is a good reccomend. I dont mind combining blasting, sanding and chemical stripping. 1 size doesnt fit all. frames and such I will definitely blast
Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer1 View Post
what grit would you guys recomend for sanding with a da? I definitely dont like the mess involved with sand either. I definitely like the idea of sand where you can and blast where you must. Taping seams is a good reccomend. I dont mind combining blasting, sanding and chemical stripping. 1 size doesnt fit all. frames and such I will definitely blast
Dont know if its rite or wrong but it what i was taught , if you use stripper we use aircraft stripper ,cover the panels you have stripper applied to and not working with plastic helps to keep from drying to soon ,dont get to far ahead cover one panel while working the next .as for sandpaper i use 180 to remone paint if you use finer grit 320/400 to strip paint it will cause heat that you dont need.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Would 120 be to aggresive?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Dont know if its rite or wrong but it what i was taught , if you use stripper we use aircraft stripper ,cover the panels you have stripper applied to and not working with plastic helps to keep from drying to soon ,dont get to far ahead cover one panel while working the next .as for sandpaper i use 180 to remone paint if you use finer grit 320/400 to strip paint it will cause heat that you dont need.

Very good point, details details.

You can cover it with plastic after you apply it but if you do one other thing you don't much need to. That would be you don't "Brush" it like you do paint, back and forth. You pour some out then "spread" it out ONE WAY, with the brush. Don't back stroke, spread it out one way. The reason being the gases escape when you back stroke it and open the surface again. This makes a HUGE difference in how the stripper works. And this isn't out of my head, it says so in the instructions.

Another thing is you run some very coarse paper like 36 or 40 over it well to scratch the surface so the stripper can jump right in and do it's job.

Very good point to bring up there Dave!

Brian
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

You can cover it with plastic after you apply it but if you do one other thing you don't much need to. That would be you don't "Brush" it like you do paint, back and forth. You pour some out then "spread" it out ONE WAY, with the brush. Don't back stroke, spread it out one way. The reason being the gases escape when you back stroke it and open the surface again. This makes a HUGE difference in how the stripper works. And this isn't out of my head, it says so in the instructions.

Another thing is you run some very coarse paper like 36 or 40 over it well to scratch the surface so the stripper can jump right in and do it's job.

Brian
Brian i tried a PM dont think it went thru.it is 10.44 here what time is it there probably to late to call.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

paint removal

There is a lot of info here on hotrodders in the Wiki Section. , My willys had about 6 coats of paint and I scraped the top layers off, a lot of chips, no gooey mess until I got down to the bottom layer and used stripper. I also use my 3500 Psi pressure washer, to remove the stripper-paint that doesn't come off easy with a scraper. It will remove a lot of paint just slower, I also have a wet blaster from northern tool for heaver metal parts, frames ,axles, etc. water and sand, NO dust, just a wet mess, I had my nash roadster blasted by a guy the restorations guys use. He knows what he is doing and doesn't warp panels but cannot get out all the pits in sheet metal.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

Ive had decent luck stripping sheetmetal with a soda blaster,takes a while but its much easier on the metal
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

check with your pait supplier BEFORE using soda blaster NO paint company i know of will warranty wheir paint if you use soda it leaves film that effects paint .You can use a Dustless Blaster that uses water and recycled glass ,check on web. Your state might be different but i dont think so,You can strip an entire car under an hour.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
Brian, there is a very good explanation of how the stripper works and some tips on using it in this link
Acetone • How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos • AutoBody101.com

http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/A...%2025%2009.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevymon View Post
Brian, there is a very good explanation of how the stripper works and some tips on using it in this link
Acetone • How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos • AutoBody101.com

http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/A...%2025%2009.pdf
Very good stuff there, I love how understanding the product at a chemical level helps you use it better, I sure learned this lesson with paints! But yes, and what he said about letting it dry is a no-no, very good basic info that REALLY changes things. I was blown away when I first started brushing only one way spreading it out and not back stroking, just that changes EVERYTHING in how that stripper works.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.