Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sandblasting
Thread: sandblasting
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

More info

I have a home made blaster cabinet, large enough to put in a rear end housing.i I use an old sears gun, 5 hp 50 gal comprsssor. . It is kept out side the shop under a lean-to roof, I have a 2 in pipe along the top-back of the cabinet with 1/2 holes about 4 in apart with the end outside the cabinet that I hook an old shop vac to for dust control. The small hole in the hose or pick up tube is to mix air with the sand in the blaster tube. If the hose was full just sand it whould take a lot of air pressure to creaate enough vacuum at the gun to move the sand, A suggestion I read here on HR a while back is to have your sand supply up above your gun height so it doesn.t have to lift all that weight. So far mine has been working ok. Mine just keeps reusing the sand that drops to the bottom of the cabinet. I always use the 3500 psi pressurre washer on parts first to keep dirt and grease out of the sand. I also have a wet blaster from Northern Tools that I hook up to the pressure washer, I only did a test with 5 gallon bucket of sand on some parts, it cleans good, NO DUST and it makes a mess, wet sand everywhere, When I get ready to sand blast a frame It will be out in the back pasture, gasoline powered pressure washer blaster and a 100 ft of garden hose , painters head sock, rubber boots rain suit and full face mask. My son has a table top cabinet with walnut hulls to use on the antique brass parts for restoration pieces