sandblasting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 12:30 PM

Last journal entry: My cousin vision
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sandblasting

Can you use regular sand to sandblast like play sand you put in a sand box or do you got to use a peticular kind of sand?I remember reading a post about this before but can't find it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

do a google search for silicosis . it will answer best. using regular sand not only tears up your sheet metal it destroys your lungs. if you do it in a neighborhood the fine will break you and any and all your neighbors can sue. i use starblast for rust and type 5 acrylic for paint. be careful .
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

I was asking to prove something to a friend and you answered it for me thanks you know how some people like to take shortcuts or the cheaper solution I bought starblast yesterday when I asked anyway
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
And for goodness sakes DON'T blast sheet metal unless you REALLY know what you are doing OR you are willing to throw away the panel you are blasting, because there is a real chance you will need to.

Brian
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

My partner want's me to help him sand blast his 66 chevy C-10 why because he has a sandblaster i rather use stripper but his truck his blaster so hay hard heaD MAKE A SOFT *** HUH!!he also thinks it be faster
Old 06-21-2006, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

Like I said, don't blast the sheet metal panels.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...929#post653929

Brian
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Like MartinSr said DON'T sandblast sheetmetal! You can usually get away with blasting door posts, floor pans, engine compartments, etc but panels like hoods, doors, decklids, roofs, most fenders and q-panels, etc can most definitely be totally destroyed and I mean TOTALLY destroyed, I know this from past experience. After warping a Mustang deck lid beyond repair I was told I did it wrong and was coached on how to do it "properly" so I then proceeded to destroy a door also, lesson learned!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

if you are going to use starblast remember to stay at at least 45 degree's. i use low pressure and at about 2 ft from panel.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM

After having no problems sandblasting 4 whole cars including a Mustang I can say it can be done quite safely without any damage to the sheet metal. Quite frankly, you will do more damage to the panels trying to improperly weld in a patch panel. You should worry more about learning how to correct for weld shrinkage than sandblast warpage.

Get the fine sand from a place that sells sheet rock supplys. Play sand has too many larger pieces. Always screen the sand.

Never allow more than 40 PSI at the noozle.

Always adjust the sand valve such that you just start seeing sand comming out of the noozle.

I have purposefully attempted to warp normal sheet metal at close range and 90 degrees and I could not detect any warpage. I did take it easy on french car sheet metal, but it was much thinner than the American stuff.

Keep in mind I use an airfed hood and a respirator just to be on the safe side. The sandblasting area is out in the woods away from any people.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Lost, No doubt it can be done but it is risky and unless done EXACTLY right it can be, and quite often is, a major disaster. Since the problems associated with doing this are so well documented it is very irresponsible to recommend to someone who is even somewhat unfamiliar with the process that it is an ok thing to do, it is NOT! The damage resulting from doing this can be very costly and it does happen even to pros. I warped that door beyond repair by blasting the inside while using only 40-45 PSI as was recommended to me as the "proper" way. Since I damaged the panels on my car I have seen this happen again twice, even to the guy who tried to explain what I did wrong and he has been blasting for years. Unless you are experienced and absolutely sure you know the proper way already DON'T DO IT!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

I used to have a number of links to threads on forums with guys asking what to do with their RUINED cars. I can make another list, I'll have to do that. They come up oh, every few months or so. It is VERY easy to RUIN panels sand blasting.

First most people make the mistake in thinking it is heat that is doing it just as I thought for years. So, they "keep" the metal cool with what ever techique they can think of or been taught. The problem is, it isn't heat at all, in fact the metal usually gets cooled because of the air being blown on it by the blaster. What is really causeing the damage is "compressive mechanical, something or another". Each grain of sand is acting like a small hammer putting a dent in the panel. It is pushing the molecules around. I don't care how slow you go, this is going to happen to some extent.

Even if you go real slow with a hammer, just tapping and tapping, just the weight of the hammer, don't even hit it, just let the hammer fall on it. At some point you will have a bowl hammered out in the metal. The sand WILL do this very easily.

I know there are people who do it. I know there are people who can do a lot of things, I do this stuff for a living and can do a lot of things. But I don't believe in telling someone else they can. I know I could sand blast sheet metal if I wanted to, I know that. But I personally feel there are better ways, like pay the local stripper to plastic media blast it for 400 bucks. Makes a WHOLE LOT more sense to pay someone to do it and let me do the fun stuff that I can do with ease. So I am not going to experiment or go out there and nail the techique, I have no reason to. But if I could, there is no way I am going to tell the newbe to go out and do it. Not where there is such a fine line between success and OUT AND OUT FAILURE. When the panel is warped by sand blasting you basically have to throw it away. It is that badly damaged. Unless you are a master metal worker, you are going to throw it away. I have had a "pro" ruin something for me as well. So if you don't have a place that specializes in sandblasting sheet metal DON'T believe them when they say they can do it.

I have even seen a car on one of the forums I visit that was done by a place that is supposed to really know this stuff, the RUINED his Chevelle only to put an "E coat" on it afterwords like nothing had happened.

I have seen it over and over in person and in the forums, it is a chance NO ONE should take without the THOROUGH knowledge in how serious it is. It CAN and WILL damage the sheet metal beyond repair. If you do it with others warning you and pull it off, cool you are the man. But if you don't and ruin your car, you can't say we didn't warn you.

Brian
Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 AM

I just finished sandblasting my 66 mustang fastback with playsand I bought at home depot and it came out really good. I've never sandblasted before and I did it with a 40 dollar blaster I bought at harbor freight. I also kept the pressure up to at least 60-90 psi.
I had heard all the horror stories about warping panels and destroying them so I tested it out on an out of the sight spot and tried my hardest to get it to warp but I just couldn't get it to disform at all so I did the whole car.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

not only will play sand destroy sheet metal it creates rust in cracks and folds in the metal. not to mention the health risk. there are several people on this site that do it for a living but i've noticed they have just given up trying to explain the problems with sand. i can warp a door panel at 30lbs with a cheap siphon blaster. i proved this once by making a single pass down the middle of a sheet of 14 guage metal. curled it right before our eyes. i do this for a living . i researched it for a year before investing 30k in a new building and the blast equipment. i wont touch a car blasted with sand by anyone . i would suggest you get in touch with a professional and ask these questions . if 6.50 a bag for starblast is too much i doubt you'll be able to buy the materials for a paint job.

protect your lungs.....they're the only ones you get.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

I've sandblasted some before like i've done a couple of cars but I was working at an shop then and never had to buy the sand I was tring to prove a point to a friend that you can just use any kind if sand and that the cheap route is not the best in certain situations he thinks sand is sand but all the info we got here he listened and is kind scared to blast now
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

use the starblast at 45 degrees and you wont have a problem

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.