Hot Rod Forum banner

Sandblasting cabinet.

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  CDJr 
#1 ·
I'm in the midst of building a sandblasting cabinet and thought I'd do a search to get an idea of window size & positions. I have a cutting / welding table that contains sparks (or could be a quench tank if filled with water) and thought it would be ideal to build a cabinet that assembles on top of this table. When not in use, it would come apart and hang on the wall in panels. (I don't have room for a full size or benchtop model - the welding table rolls away under my main bench)

Anyway, in searching for this, I came across a simply awesome cabinet that can accommodate large items like fenders and hoods. With its spring loaded lift up canopy and self contained dust collection system...It by blows away my design by far....

I will post photos once mine is done for those who might want to build a collapsible cabinet. Surely I will find out things I should have done, once I use it...which I'll include as well.

Check out this baby though.
http://davepropst.com/Article/Art5/Article5.htm

#3 ·
Thats a cool cabinet, Bird.......

I built one from wood years ago, but it just got in the way, so I got rid of it. We had one at work for years too, so that helped a lot...until the plant closed...almost miss that as much as my job............

Another way of doing it, is getting large plastic tubing, tying one end and do your blasting inside it.. At least it keeps the media from getting all over the place.

#8 ·
One of the most important things you need to be sure of is the seal around the door and between your fabricated cabinet and the welding table top. If these seals aren't right you'll have blasting medium all over the garage, be it garnet, or black majic or glass beads, or whatever, even sand.

#10 ·
I have 3/8" thick (but spongy) rubber gaskets on the hinged doors as well as on the end panels. The front and back panels connect using a "standing seam" connection. My only concern is around the base. We'll see how that one goes...the panels fit around the perimeter of the 1 1/4" bar grating. I suspect that will be the weak link.

Thanks for the tips guys.

More pix today...

http://www.hotrodding.ca/FUDforums/...1&S=f04cd87f1e0887617e4a55c0da34d291#msg_2391

#11 ·
Mine is alot like BBs too, except I got tired of the mess underneath it where the collection can sits (even though I used an old sheet around it to help eliminate dust). Then it finally dawned on me that it would be so much cleaner, simpler, and would even function better if I lost the collection can and hooked the siphoning hose directly to the funnel on the bottom-side of the cabinet. This eliminated the mess, made it a hell of a lot easier to move the cabinet around (since it was self-contained), and improved the material flow from the funnel to the gun :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.