Sandblasting cabinet homemade - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last journal entry: ALL IS LOST!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick
I am a woodworker and welder. I am interested in your rough plans for the blast cabinet.

icepick
I didn't use any. I had a bunch of thick glass that was all cut to the same size. I just built a frame around the glass and set it into the the drum. I put the arm holes where they were comfortable. The wooden frame was just landscape timbers and scrap wood. The shelves came from the junk pile in the back of Lowes. (that's where I got my powdercoat oven too)
Sadly it all gone now. My house burned down over the summer.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last journal entry: ALL IS LOST!
Last photo:

I will add this. Don't bother with a siphon system unless you really love to waist time. Go to Harbor Freight or someplace like that and get a cheap pressure pot. (the biggest one you can) It's also not too hard to make one.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Last journal entry: 46 mercury bobber pickup
Last photo:

i made one out of a barrel a while back, it worked well. however for the price of buying the gloves, glass, etc i would just buy one premade from harbour freight or somewhere like that. which is what i eventually did, i sold the barrel and bought a store bought when they went on sale
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Blast Cabinet Plans/Purchase

Thank you for your reply. I will consider your suggestion to buy a comercial blast cabinet.

icepick
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

TP has some very nice plans, that allow you to build a very nice and professional looking and perfroming sand blasting cabinet. The largest deluxe kit they sell will allow you to build a very, very large caninet , one with a 45" door, complete with everything needed for only $299.00. I have access to a old 275 Gal oil tank, that I am debating turning into a large sand blasting cbinet with there kit.

http://www.tptools.com/p/335,18_Buil...ed-System.html
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Sandblast Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
TP has some very nice plans, that allow you to build a very nice and professional looking and perfroming sand blasting cabinet. The largest deluxe kit they sell will allow you to build a very, very large caninet , one with a 45" door, complete with everything needed for only $299.00. I have access to a old 275 Gal oil tank, that I am debating turning into a large sand blasting cbinet with there kit.

http://www.tptools.com/p/335,18_Buil...ed-System.html
Thanks alot. Still time to make a decision.

Icepick
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM

helpplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by szingsheim
I built this one using a 55 gal drum, some "l" angle steel, 3/4 plywood and some parts from harborfreight. I got rough plans if you want them. Let me know!
Hey do you still have he plans on how to buld it
Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM

Last photo:

szingsheim

Quote:
I built this one using a 55 gal drum, some "l" angle steel, 3/4 plywood and some parts from harborfreight. I got rough plans if you want them. Let me know!
Hi I like the drum idea do you still have the plans
cheers Gordon.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
F-16 Crew Dawg

Last photo:

Sorry for the long wait!

The barrel is a standard 55 gallon drum. I used a D.A grinder on the left side of the barrel (one without the bungs on it) 1.5 inches from the edge of the barrel to make the door hole. On the bottom of the door hole i left it flat so i could use hinges to open it. Common door rain seal was used on the inside of the hole to keep in the media. the door itself is made from 3/4 mdf with 4 holes for fresh air to enter the blast chamber. the vents you see in the picture are sofit covers from the home depot it helps keep in the media but lets the air in. I used a D.A to cut the window hole and used 3/4 plywood for the frame of the window. To match the curve of the barrel for the frame hold the frame to the outside of the barrel and trace the curve, use bandsaw and attach with drywall screws. I used permatex on all mating surfaces. The window pannel frame is 1" L channel mitered at the corners and welded together for ease of plexi changes (when window stars to get bad). It's held in with 1/4" bolt that is welded to the drum and hold the window pane frame with decorative knobs from the DEPOT. The window is standard plexi that i cut using a knife by scoring and snaping. The mating surface of the window to the blast cabinet has window foam seal to make it air tight when the knobs are secured. The arm holes are made with a D.A grinder and the collars are made of 1/16" steel made into a band then welded, then the total part is welded to the hole in the drum then permatexed. The light is from harbor freight 9$ and the gloves as well 7$. The rack inside is from a fridge i found in the desert and welded together. The small screen is from a old microwave i found next to the fridge. (holds small parts better). On the right side of the drum are the two bungs. The large one ia a standard 1-1/2 pipe thread which i used a sink install kit to connect to my shop-vac to pull the fresh air through. The small hole had a seal on it, i removed it and ran my pressurised blaster through. On the bottom of the inside of the drum i drilled a hole that i used a sink stop, to hold the used media and to empty when it gets full. As far a specs go i'll have to do some measuring and post again online. But with the picture supplied and being this IS a website for gearheads one can only make my idea better!

L8R

ZING
Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

sand blaster

Thanks very much will try post a picture of the one i made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	casa blanca 027.JPG
Views:	2728
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	38077  
Old 05-08-2009, 05:09 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

hey i would like to build my own also
any plans i could get you can send
them to me i like all the ones on here

thanks buggmann
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Blast pot???

ok, newbie to sandblasters here, exactly what is a blast pot?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Plans

Hello,
I no this is an old post I was considering buying a cheap harbor freight cabinet and saw your buildup and have all the materials I need already. Just wondering if you can share whatever plans you have to assist me in my build. I also wanted to add that alot of time you can get info by doing a patent search at freepatentsonline.

Thanks again,
Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

here's mine

Mine cost me about $2.50 to build (cost of my hinges)...this is about as cheap as it gets. Just scrap plywood, I use heavy rubber gloves, 2 trashbags to extend my arms into the cabinet. I just snipped a small area out of the bottom of the bag for my hand to slip through. For the window I used the piece of plastic in those el cheapo frames (its what I had on hand). The plastic is frosted over and needs to be replaced. I hinged the frame, caulked the edges, drilled a hole in one corner of the cabinet so I can just push the material to that hole. The material drains nicely back into my blaster. I have a mesh filter in my blaster to catch any pieces of debris. So there ya go- it is functional, not pretty, but a coat of paint and then it looks good and functional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02forum069.jpg
Views:	1986
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	43159  
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
.... The arm holes are made with a D.A grinder and the collars are made of 1/16" steel made into a band then welded, then the total part is welded to the hole in the drum then permatexed.

ZING
Hi there buddy, i LOVE your cabinet and just went and bought 2 drums to start my own! only thing i dont really understand well is how you made the arm holes and got the gloves attached and sealed there.. lol, maybe i just dont recognize some of the terms you used coz im in SA and the stuff is called something else... i dono, but can you maybe please explain a bit in detail how you made the holes and attached the gloves? i dont want to screw up my drums though i did buy two just for incase but they damm expensive here by us. and also can you give me a few pointers on stuff to keep in mind when building the cabinet?

thanks so much in advance.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.