Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Sandblasting cabinet homemade (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sandblasting-cabinet-homemade-79837.html)

Dreadlord 01-26-2006 08:54 AM

Sandblasting cabinet homemade

Has anyone ever made a homemade blasting cabinet and if they had do they reccomend it and do they have plans for it?

OneMoreTime 01-26-2006 09:01 AM

Those are not all that hard to make..Lots are built in a "home made fashion" to accomodate the needs of a particular shop..just a basic box large enough to fit the parts..the gloves are available as replacement items from several supppliers and a good glass window..

Look at one sometime and you can derive all the info you need..

Just a big box with a window and the glove pieces placed in convenient positions for the user..plywood works fine tho I like to use either MDO or HDO coated plywood for those..

OMT

sha_ba_do_bang 01-26-2006 12:56 PM

I am also making one, i made mine with the upside down pyramid at the bottom for the sand trap, its all out of MDF board
i just need a good gun, who makes good quality ones?

Brendan

Jon 01-26-2006 02:58 PM

Be sure to check out the Hotrodders Knowledge Base. There are a couple of articles on this in the Garage - Tools category. Here's a link:

Garage - Tools Articles.

william64 01-26-2006 11:49 PM

I am looking at building a cabinet what kind of glass would be best i got my sanblaster at harbor freight

lowROLLERchevy 01-26-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadlord
Has anyone ever made a homemade blasting cabinet and if they had do they reccomend it and do they have plans for it?

i have plans for a simple cabinet that uses one sheet of plywood and a 5 gallon bucket

fill up the bucket, insert the siphon tube, blast, and then when done just shovel everything back into the bucket

i can also change the plans up so that it has a hopper on the bottom, but it would require a second sheet of plywood, and the plans were originaly drawn up for someone who had a single extra shet of plywood to use for the project

lemm dig out the plans and get back to ya ..

Spark Chaser 01-27-2006 08:21 AM

TP Tools and Equipment makes and sells kits to build your own cabinet plus carry guns, foot pedels, plastic sheets and gloves.
For the glass find a good glass shop in your area and get a piece of tempered glass (you will want to buy the plastic sheeting to go over the glass to keep from frosting it up). I bought a piece of 18"x24"x1/4" for 25 bucks here.

Wayne S

szingsheim 06-19-2007 02:26 PM

Homemade blast cabinet

5 Attachment(s)
I built this one using a 55 gal drum, some "l" angle steel, 3/4 plywood and some parts from harborfreight. I got rough plans if you want them. Let me know!

home brew 06-20-2007 09:10 AM

szingsheim - Glad to see you added those pics to this thread. It will help a lot of guys wanting to build there own cabinet! :thumbup: :thumbup:

cboy 06-20-2007 12:04 PM

Go to this link for a few more pictures of szingheim's home built unit. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/newb...ew-118463.html And note the great solution for when the sand/media bridges in the bucket - an inexpensive sander strapped to the side.

KenCam 06-20-2007 01:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. It's not as nice as Szingsheim's. I love the design because I can rotate it to adjust for my height. (sitting or standing) The siphon system is very slow. I plan to build a pressure pot as soon as I get a welder. I'll probably weld in some new arm holes as well. The flanges I used are a tad small for my arms.

szingsheim 06-20-2007 03:44 PM

Nice cabinet.

Thanks again for the props. Your doesn't look half bad either!

icepick 01-13-2009 07:36 PM

Blast Cabinet Plans

Quote:

Originally Posted by szingsheim
I built this one using a 55 gal drum, some "l" angle steel, 3/4 plywood and some parts from harborfreight. I got rough plans if you want them. Let me know!

I am a woodworker and welder. I am interested in your rough plans for the blast cabinet.

icepick

jsaw 01-13-2009 10:12 PM

Old oil tank

1 Attachment(s)
A friend made this one out of an old 275 gallon oil tank

boatbob2 01-14-2009 08:06 AM

Blast Cabinets

Hi,i got the plans and materials from tpi,i have used mine for about 10 years,works really well,only complaint is,that i should have made it larger than plans called for.