sandblasting the floor pans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sandblasting the floor pans

I just bought eastwood's 100lb capacity pressure feed sandblaster. I have my carpet out and I'm going to blast the floor pans and then coat them with rust encapsulator, then extreme chassis black. My question is, what type of media can I use? The cheaper the better. I am trying to remove all the old paint and surface rust. I was recommended aluminum oxide, but if I can get the job done with the cheapest bag of sand they carry, then thats what I'd like to do. What kind of media do I need? Can I get away with a cheap bag of sand from home depot or do I need something else?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Let's move this to Body-Exterior.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

just go to your local sand pit or who ever sells large landscaping rocks, sand, etc. they should have it.. alot cheaper then menards. i paid 7 bucks for a 100 pound bag of sand.. they should have different kinds like play sand up to larger size that wont go through your blaster.. get like a number 2. 4 being the most aggresive...

edit get mabey a little finer sand.. buy a bag and test it out..if it clogs you just will have to mix it in with finer stuff..

also if your just pulling the carpet on a complete car, you will get sand everywhere so tape stuff up very well and you still will get it everywhere.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual4
....also if your just pulling the carpet on a complete car, you will get sand everywhere so tape stuff up very well and you still will get it everywhere.
Yeah, ditto what dual4 said.

From what I've read on other threads and sites, you stand a real good chance of screwing up every mechanical and electrical component inside the car .... switches, window regulators, etc. etc. ad nauseam.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

I have the carpet and seats out. next is the panels. I plan on wrapping up the pedals and dash/underside of dash with many plastic bags and or tarp. Lots of tape too. I'll leave the doors open and completely wrap them too. Mostly I want to avoit getting media in the dash area. The edges of the floor pans I'll do with a wire brush to avoid getting the paint messed up on the rocker panels. Will this be enough? If my car was in great condition except for the floor pans, I'd probably just use a wire brush, but my car is not in great condition, and I really want to get all the old layers of paint and rust off, so a small pressure blaster seemed the best way to go. Plus, I want to use it to blast the frame of my truck when the time comes.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Sandblasting if fun, and ull like it untill it clogs every second. Just make sure to fill it up,open the valve on the "gun" part wide open then start to open the valve at the bottom of the tank. Open it just enough that sand comes out. Steady. U don't have to have it wide open. All that will do is make you go through sand very very fast. Floors, and such can handle sand but if you blast a fender get silica sand from a lumber store. And shoot from a distance of like 2 feet. Try it out and good luck
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

what NOBODY has told you is 1) you HAVE TO WEAR A GOOD RESPIRATOR. Silica sand is extremely harmful if you breathe the dust. All of the dust is bad for you. So dont just rely on the blasting hood to keep it out. 2) your aircompressor air HAS to be 110 % dry. the slightest bit of moisture will cause the sand to get wet and clog. Plus if the wet sand does go through, you can WATCH it instantly rust where you blasted. 3) lumber yard sand will most likely be slightly wet, you will have to dry it before you use it, THEN sift it. There will be tiny pieces of gravel and rocks that WONT go through your blaster. You'll see. The $2.00 a bag difference isn't worth the hastle of all that. Buy the better stuff, put a screen over the opening and pour. MUCH better than spreading wet sand out and drying it. But do what you want.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

If there's anything at all you don't want sand in, the only way to prevent it is the remove that part and put it in the house in a box behind a closed and preferably locked door. Think I'm joking? Get back to me when you're done. Unless you can dip your car, there will always be sand popping out of nooks and crannies.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.