sandblasting truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 01:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sandblasting truck

I'm thinking about sandblasting my 51 f1 ford. I see portable sandblasters that hold 10 to 20 gallons of media and operate in between 16-125 PSI. Is this adequate enough to remove the old paint from my truck? It has the original paint on it and is chipping off (it's quite thick). I was thinking it would be better to remove it all , prime it, then start over. The sand blasters are not that expensive, I could get one for about $80, but I don't want to buy something that is not going to work on this big of a job. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 01:43 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

to give you an idea , my hopper holds 6.5 cuft or 250 lbs of acrylic or 500 lbs of starblast. to blast your truck parts i would have to reload around 5 times. the small blaster is just going to be slow. and you have to have a good air compressor. do not use sand. use starblast by 3m or something close to it. blast at as low a pressure as you can. blast at 45 degrees towards the paint line.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Let a professional do it for you,by the time you buy the pot,safety equipment,sand and wear out your compressor,it will probably cost you more than having it done,I just did a 67 chevelle for a guy for 200 bucks,inside and out,floor pan,trunk etc,as well as a bunch of suspension parts he threw in.
Took me an hour and a half,and 360 lbs. of kleen blast(copper slag).
My sand pot hols 1000 lbs of media.
The compressor is 200 cfm,diesel driven,vane type.
Unless you want the fun of doing it yerself.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim..
Took me an hour and a half,and 360 lbs. of kleen blast(copper slag).
My sand pot hols 1000 lbs of media.
The compressor is 200 cfm,diesel driven,vane type.
Unless you want the fun of doing it yerself.
Copper slag, there sure are a lot of different medias being used today. Is there any less chance of warpage using the slag?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:45 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

The kleen blast will warp metal as much as silica,the finer the media the less chance of warpage by peening,I use 80 or 100 grit which is very fine,still,I stay away from large flat areas such as door skins,hood ,trunk and roofs,they can be done easily by sanding or 3M discs.

I did a 56 mercedes unimog truck for a guy,and he insisted that I do the entire body,it came out just fine with no warpage at all,I held the blast nozzle about 4 feet away and tried to hit it at an angle so the force of the media would be less,it took longer,but worked ok.

Tried the same thing on an 86 ford truck hood(my own),it's still hanging on the wall of my shop to remind me not to do it again,it's totally warped.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

jim, have you tried starblast ? it is a very fine media and works great on pits ,cracks ect. i have yet to have any warpage with it. i use acrylic to remove paint but then switch to starblast to get the rust and clean up. i just used it on the 62 vette and found it to be more gentle than the plastigrit.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

I've never used the starblast,but it is in my suppliers material list,next time I order a couple of pallets I will have them throw on 5 or 6 bags just to try it out.

Is their a certain grit size you use?

It is fairly expensive here,but hey,if it works.

And about the acrylic,it is VERY expensive stuff,I would like to try it tho as there is no one in this part of the country doing it,and I have lots of people asking about it.
I'm assuming you must recycle it a few times?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the DuPont starblast is about 6.50 a 50 lb bag. less if you buy pallets. less than 5% quartz. the acrylic is kinda high. i have a blasting booth for recapturing it. i have found the starblast to be a little better. it is a fine grit and does not tend to warp. works great on vettes. the acrylic is a bit more aggressive than it is. the starblast recycles about 4 times before it gets dusty unless you filter out the dust. the plastic will go 10 times . i have a 185 cfm diesel rig and a 6.5 hopper in the booth with a 3/8 nozzel. i mostly use it for my own jobs. i HATE sanding old paint or dealing with rust.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:

any time I get into doing a big job, I send the body to the media blaster. he get's about 1k to do a complete body inside and out.. and this is when it's all tore apart so he has to do one piece at a time, but he has a booth setup for blasting, he does a lot of glass blasting, and has a few other cabinets with other things in it. such as walnuts.. soda,, although soda is not recommended as it needs neutralized before it gets primed, so it's not very practical with steel..

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.