Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sanded to bare metal...What's the best thing to cover again?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sanded to bare metal...What's the best thing to cover again?

I am new to these boards and somewhat new to bodywork and painting. I have far surpassed the days of putting topcoat right over bare metal but am still working on technique. Here is my dilema. I have an 86 buick regal that I am refinishing. Alot of the body panels had to be spot sanded or completely taken down to bare metal due to chipping in the paint, sunbaking, etc. I do not however, at the current time, have access to a garage. The best I can do is cover the car when I am not working on it. I am more or less working on small areas of the car at a time. I have heard from a few places that using Self-etching primer over bare metal is the best thing to do. Right now I am working off aresol cans because I do not want to get my gun out for the small areas i'm working on. I used this on the entire hood and the places where I had to sand out small paint chips. Does this sound about right? It seems to bond pretty good. Not like the factory primer and paint which is hopelessly stuck on but good nonetheless. Thanks in advance for any replies. I have many other questions but not enough times to type them all out right now.