Hot Rod Forum banner

Sanded to bare metal...What's the best thing to cover again?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  project66 
#1 ·
I am new to these boards and somewhat new to bodywork and painting. I have far surpassed the days of putting topcoat right over bare metal but am still working on technique. Here is my dilema. I have an 86 buick regal that I am refinishing. Alot of the body panels had to be spot sanded or completely taken down to bare metal due to chipping in the paint, sunbaking, etc. I do not however, at the current time, have access to a garage. The best I can do is cover the car when I am not working on it. I am more or less working on small areas of the car at a time. I have heard from a few places that using Self-etching primer over bare metal is the best thing to do. Right now I am working off aresol cans because I do not want to get my gun out for the small areas i'm working on. I used this on the entire hood and the places where I had to sand out small paint chips. Does this sound about right? It seems to bond pretty good. Not like the factory primer and paint which is hopelessly stuck on but good nonetheless. Thanks in advance for any replies. I have many other questions but not enough times to type them all out right now.

#2 ·
Been there before. How about you go to an autobody or home store and ask for a Reveal spray can with glass mixing bottle. I think they are about 6 bucks. You can then buy a quality primer sealer and mix and use what you need. The canisters are precharged and you get a glass bottle for mixing the sealer or paint in. When the charged canister runs out, you just throw away and buy another for about 3-4 bucks. I have sprayed many a things with them including car paints. Better than rattle can and from my guess, they last much longer than a can.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, use epoxy primer IMHO.

#3 ·
Epoxy primer..Heard about that and will give it a try. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using epoxy paints/primers? I heard that expoxies stick to just about any damn thing. as for the reveal cans, I will definately try that. Also another question, There are a few areas on my car that are very prone to rusting out, which I would like to treat. I've heard of some guys using acid (phosphoric?) and then coating them with POR 15. Sound about right?

#5 ·
Mits right on that one from what I understand. You could also look at SPI epoxy, self etching epoxy coating. Forget the POR, use the epoxy primers. Used POR many a time, self etching epoxy better in your case (I think---wait I know) Rusty kinda guy here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.