Sanded thru boiled clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 09:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sanded thru boiled clear

Things were going so well, I knew it couldn't last. On the Bug I painted, there is a rough patch on both the fender and the panel it bolts up to. Basically where it makes a inside corner.

I tried wet sanding it lightly with 600, and at first I thought it was doing OK. I was getting some white spots, but I figured it was just the clear that was sanded. Next thing I knew I had a white spot a little bigger than a quarter. Apparently it was the white under the orange that got sprayed on bad, and to get rid of the rough, I was going through the clear and the orange.

Anyhow I got the bright idea of getting out a old air brush I have and touching up the orange. It seemed like it was working well, until all the sudden I noticed a white foam growing around where I had sprayed. It appears the reducer for the orange is hot enough to melt the clear???

I plan on re-reading Bondo Kings thread on the boat, but would welcome any suggestions on what to do now. I was thinking, maybe tomorrow to hit it real light with 1000 or 1500 and if it smooths out reasonable to hit it with some clear in the airbrush. I am guessing it probably isn't going to be that easy though is it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 PM

it sounds like the paint lifted on you. you'll have to smooth it out , then you can repaint. when you base it , put on light coats. if you put it on too wet , it can keep lifting on you. you can try the airbrush , but in my opinion you will get the best results by dusting in your base to cover your sand thru , and reclearing the whole panel.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Yup, Your about to get an education of a paint blend my brother.
Go find Ratchet's Candy Paint Job post a short while back. That ought to help you out some.
Your going to have to do a lot larger area than the cut thru for a pearl blend as trying to do a 3" spot won't get it. More like a 2' area surounding the blemish. You'll have to fade the pearl out in layers so the blend won't show as much. This is why it's called a blend. You won't be able to do a small section and get it to match,the transition has to be gradual going into the orginal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.