Sanding bare metal before primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Sanding bare metal before primer

Ok im ready to have my car blasted and i want to get ready to put primer on before it starts to rust , how fast does this need to be done , is there a special prep like after blast or something i should use, and what grit should i sand it before i lay my epoxy primer on. Im doing the whole car chassis, underbody, body pannels everything should i use the same epoxy primer on everything . In other words HOW TO primer my blasted car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I use the SPI epoxy and the reccomended procedure is to DA it with 80 grit then wax and grease remover then 2 wet/slick coats and then you are good to go with filler and blocking step..Works well for chassis parts as well..

Sam
Old 12-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Dennis W. Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
I use the SPI epoxy and the reccomended procedure is to DA it with 80 grit then wax and grease remover then 2 wet/slick coats and then you are good to go with filler and blocking step..Works well for chassis parts as well..

Sam
Yep, what he said is what I would have told you. I don't know how soon you are going to be doing body work and then final painting. Assuming that it will be awhile before you are actually ready for that, don't forget that you'll need to scuff the epoxy primer again when you get ready to do the bodywork.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchigan View Post
Ok im ready to have my car blasted and i want to get ready to put primer on before it starts to rust , how fast does this need to be done , is there a special prep like after blast or something i should use, and what grit should i sand it before i lay my epoxy primer on. Im doing the whole car chassis, underbody, body pannels everything should i use the same epoxy primer on everything . In other words HOW TO primer my blasted car
What kind of "blasting"? You know that sand blasting can DESROY panels, I mean DE-STROY. I don't care if the guy claims to be great at it, BE CAREFUL with who you have do it!

Brian
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM

I was going to have the under body,all the jams,firewall,exc sand blasted but not the panels so i shouldn't warp anything gonna da everything thing else. Also how long can i leave it in the epoxy primer cause im gonna top coat the underside,firewall,and engine bay soon after i primer but im going to let my body man do the exterior and it might be awhile before i get it to him and its going to be stored in a shop.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You can keep it in epoxy for a long time as all that is needed is a scuffing of the epoxy before carrying on with the finish blocking and painting.

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.