Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sanding before cutting and buffing
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
cleanliness and being anal is super important in paint and cutting and rubbing. It's the difference between a few swirls and a lot. We hired this guy for about 3 months, 30 years exp, had a car on a cover of hot rod and even an article on the build, but dropped the ball big time. Bodyman/painter but was sloppy, which was the reason he was later fired. He hopped on a few cars with us but mainly did the low end spot jobs. Then one day a fully restored Camaro they had only painted and changed the color of the stripes previously, had come in for some spot repairs around the drip rails...First he put a DA pigtail on the driver's glass, scratched the windshield with his moulding tool, and may have also cracked the windshield in an area where he had trouble getting the moulding off(he denied it) the tiny spot repair he did that got poly primed needed to be primed twice. So he does a decent job spraying it but now it's time for buffing. This is where the excuses came... He just couldn't get the swirls out, burned through one area, and lost his job for how he reacted to it and his lack of attention. Too stubborn to listen. In a nutshell, we all would go back there to check his "progress" and without knowing too much of his techniques I have an opinion on what killed the job...NOT KEEPING THE CAR CLEAN and not being thorough.

He didn't have a surefire way to get rid of 1000 scratch marks, which tells us he used to work in a crappy resto shop but let's not forget the time buffing and even polishing before his left over 1000 scratches were pointed out. At this point he's buffing and rebuffing trying to fight swirls while we occasionally and quietly would go over to the car to eyeball the areas where we saw sand scratches, and this guys trying to go to polish while we're still seeing swirls AND sand scratches. So then the excuses come out about product, waiting to long to cut it open, etc-etc. The car full of wool, dry compound(even in the cowl vent), break thrus on a few corners, mega swirls, and a disgusted boss. It got repainted and completed by somebody else. The moral of the story, this guy had a few guys fooled about his ability and it was cutting and buffing (out of all things) that finally showed everybody he over sold him self in the interview process by embellishing his skill level. So I have that as a reminder as to why I wouldn't recommend a non professional to cut a clear open with 800. A non professional painter might leave a lot of orange peel and starting with 800 makes me cringe at the thought of how much will be left to protect the car when it's all said and done. I don't think I've had to deal with urethane wave. I think if the bodywork and prep is perfect than the car will look perfect, and with that said I wouldn't recommend a newb to cut urethane waves out cause most likely the car won't be perfect anyways. It's just adding a bunch of risk to the equation and not yielding a noticeable result for their skill level. Not knocking anyone who does this technique, just don't think it should be recommended without a warning about implications.
I agree. I originally though that I would get this car smooth like glass but Ive come to the conclusion that there is no way if Im doing this all myself and being that this is my first time at it. Its just hard for me because Im anal about these thinks and Ill be embarrassed to show someone that really knows his stuff my finished work. But I can only do so much.. for %95 of the population this paint job is going to look awesome... I used to stress so much about that 5% .