Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sanding before cutting and buffing
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would have to agree with a lot of statements on the need to start off with the course grit papers for a guy just starting off and trying to do a real nice job with there first projects. There is A LOT to learn about what grits to start with verses how the finished clear laid down etc,etc. Someone new to this can get into some real trouble fast starting off with the course grits. Now having said that and looking at the pics of the elcamino, I can tell this guy really wants this car to look the best he can possibly get it to look. I have met quite a few guys that are unbelievable fussy. 67 elcamino may just be "one of these guys". Urethane wave is a real problem to get rid of with a "soft block" and I really don"t care what grit you start with. Im with John L on this one for sure. You Must start off with with a hard block and at least 1000 grit paper, I think of it as "shaping" the clear with that initial cut with the hard block. After that a large 3M squeegee works fine for your 1500 and up. This always gets that super flat laquer like look that has a mile of depth. This is a very tediuos and super time consuming job to say the least, and you had better make real sure everything is operating room clean, because sanding with the hard block you DO NOT want a piece of junk getting between that. I would not recommend this type of sanding the clear to someone fairly new at this, although there are always the exceptions.