Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Sanding before cutting and buffing
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

El camino, You are probably as anal as I am about that cellulite finish, I HATE IT!! How many coats of the clear did you lay down? If you are going through with this I can give you a little more advice, but PLEASE be very careful as I am a bit cautious to steer you in this direction. First off if you are in a rush or hate wet sanding and buffing chances are you are not going to pull this off. You can get the high solids clear wave super flat. I have done this already with the SPI universal clear. But I do put down 5 coats to make sure I don't go through anywhere. First thing is always use a fresh piece of 1000 grit, change as often as possible. Next is very scary for some, I have found that if you put a lot of pressure on that hard block for that initial cut it does flatten out pretty quickly, because you are forcing that block against the paper to CUT flat. The down side to this is if there is dirt in between you had better believe it's going down to your base or primer for sure. As far as your curved areas or edges go that you can't really use the hard block, what does work is the very small 3M squeegee. But this must be used with a FRESH piece of 1000 grit. It WILL work in these though areas. I am not sure how much clear you laid down but be very careful if you have already sanded and buffed, and are resanding certain areas. I always finish with 1500, 2000, then 2500. I then use a wool pad with that new 3M 06085 compound and it cuts like butter. Everyone has their own preferance for compounds and pads but this does really work nice for me.