Sanding door and trunk jambs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sanding door and trunk jambs

What do you guys use to sand jambs and hard to reach areas? I want to sand to bare metal.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 05:30 AM

Last photo:

3M clean and strip disc works great. Sandblasting also works good.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

There are a few ways to get these areas taken care of. I apply a chemical stripper by brush, wait for the paint to bubble and then scrape it off with a putty knife and various scrapers. Sometimes it takes a few applications depending on how many layers of paint there are, but always wear long, heavy rubber gloves because that stuff burns very quickly when it comes into contact with skin. It's neutralized by rinsing off with lots of fresh water.

I follow this up by sanding by hand with 80 grit. I don't have a DA sander so I have to use elbow grease but I am sure some of the guys will suggest using a DA.

If there is any rust hiding there, use naval jelly and wire wool or a wire brush mounted to a reversible drill to get rid of it. When you have nothing but bright shiny metal, you're ready for a good coat of epoxy primer.

It's easiest to have your doors and trunk lid removed which will make these areas much more accessible, but I assume they probably are anyway if you are taking it down to bare metal for paint.

I bought a spot blasting gun to take care of the really tough or inaccessible spots, but I have yet to get it to work right, when I get it working it should make cleaning up seams and tight corners much quicker and easier.

Those are a few ideas anyway, I don't know that there is much of a rule to it, I just use whatever methods I have to to get that metal as clean as possible.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will also give some input.

Rich
Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Why sand it down to bare metal unless the paint is bad or rust is poking through. All you need is a tooth for the paint to hold, I use scotch brights with sanding paste on door jams, under the hood, the bottom side of the trunk lids, etc..... I just make sure once I am done sanding/scuffing the jams that all of the gloss is removed from the paint.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

I'm not saying this is smart or right, but something I figured out years ago any jamb I have to paint I outline with 3 layers of duct tape and wrap rest of car in plastic and sand bast.
Save on peeling, fish-eyes, built up of paint on hinges, its faster and in past has just proved out to be more efficient for me.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:53 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Quote:
I figured out years ago any jamb I have to paint I outline with 3 layers of duct tape and wrap rest of car in plastic and sand bast.
Save on peeling, fish-eyes, built up of paint on hinges, its faster and in past has just proved out to be more efficient for me.
I am going to have to try this one. I always seem to have some peeling somewhere in a jam no matter what. That is the kind of thing that drives me crazy... everything looks great and this one little spot right in the middle of the jam will have paint peel off..... makes me want to take a body hammer to the car sometimes ...

Thanks for the info Barry, always a pleasure reading what you have to say

Matthew
Old 05-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

blasting is the way to go. it can either etch the paint thats there or strip it and etch the metal. it gets every nook and cranny so you know the paint will bond right. imo any other way and your just kidding yourself and wasting alot of time.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.