Sanding down to bare metal anyone have any tips? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yeah that should do the trick. It will be hard to use the ROLOC discs in it, awkward as hell but it would work and work well for other tools. Is there something available similar but an angle grinder?

Brian
I've seen 3M Clean and Strip discs with a long pin on the back. Here's a picture I found but these aren't 3M.

They make these for angle grinders Brian. So no cutting here, just sanding. Here's the link:http://www.hardwareandtools.com/3M-9...h-u438556.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7237609-11.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	49749  

Last edited by MikeyTodd; 11-07-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

These, I think, fits die grinders but I need to further investigate. Here's the link and a picture.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl9WSBBG2LFLbl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MediawebserverCAPPHVWK.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	49750  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Do a LOT of study on the soda blasting to be sure you do everything right. One wrong move with soda and your paint and primer will come off in sheets. Many paint manufacturers say NO a very big NO to soda.

Brian
The manufactures say "not recomended" or ,the one I hate "dont use" because so many people dont or wont follow directions not that it dosent work well when done properly...I liked soda blasting the cost around here was around 1,500.00....The problem using it is ,it leaves a coating that must be removed or nothing will stick to it...that same coating will prevent surface rust for quite a while,so theres no mad rush to prime it...
before anyone strips a car they should "be prepared" no matter how they do it........so have primer a primer gun,sand paper,and a compressor before you start...you dont really want to do this stuff outside at least have a temporary enclosure...
Gentlemen....everything ,,,,I mean everything involved in this business is very bad for your health...Right down to the customers themselves....Chemical strippers are no worse than any of the other products ...even lacquer thinner will absorb through your skin....I know first hand about its affects and what a two day headache feels like but I still see pros washing their hands with it even after I warned them and told them my story ...and if you ever cleaned your paint gun and splashed even one drop in your eye you'll know what true pain is and the pain dont go away for a while it gets worse and worse and if you try rubbing your eye its even worse you just got to bite down hard and let it burn until its over...and thats just a cleaner...I cant even imagine splashing paint stripper, paint,acid ,glues or any of the other stuff we use on a daily basis in your eye...ALWAYS wear eye protection ,even when stirring primer,and a mask and surgical gloves at leastwhen stripping...a rubber suit is overkill but still it's better to be safe than sorry
etching primer may be the worst of all...It has phosphoric acid in it and if you breath it your in instant trouble.Its happened to me...I know all about it, I accidentally took one breath and was out of work two days...
ALWAYS read the warnings and for that matter everything on the can especially the directions......I cant believe how many people will bypass this most important step...its so bad I've seen some companies put labels on their products in big bold print that say DO NOT READ just to guarantee that they will be read.....
After using these these products for many years we become complacent as far as safety goes...hopefully you wont learn the hard way about using safety equipment ,many good men are gone now that would still be around today if they used some caution and respect of these materials ...you wouldn't play with a loaded gun would you??? ALL of this stuff is haz mat, so respect them ...and enjoy your grand kids.....

Last edited by deadbodyman; 11-07-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTodd
These, I think, fits die grinders but I need to further investigate. Here's the link and a picture.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl9WSBBG2LFLbl
Those work great for the back side of doors, decks,jambs,etc... but they are expensive and dont last very long I prefer the Rol-Locs (gasket surfacers)they last much longer ...if you use smaller and smaller backing plates you can use them to the nub and the smaller they get the tighter the spot they'll fit into....good products...
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
I've seen 3M Clean and Strip discs with a long pin on the back. Here's a picture I found but these aren't 3M.

They make these for angle grinders Brian. So no cutting here, just sanding. Here's the link:http://www.hardwareandtools.com/3M-9...h-u438556.html
These are the ones I really like...no grinding marks ,nice and smooth finish never really knew the proper name for them...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
So a variable speed electric angle grinder would work better? And oh, I did a little research and I see what you are saying. The orbital doesn't really rotate all the way around like a grinder would.
Mikey,Lowes has a nice electric DA ( dual action )sander for around 50.00 ..I use one in my wood shop..but you should really consider getting a compressor and one of those little side grinders and a few other air tools ...your going to need the air to get primer on the car anyways...You really shouldn't start stripping the car without have the proper tools...Harbor freight has a lot of tools that'll get you started cheaply they even have some paint guns for around 20.00 My bro in law bought a nice 5hp upright compressor that was returned and fixed then resold for 300.00 ...worth every penny...and more than enough compressor for what you need...I've seen guys try to make due with a drill and electric sanders and newspapers,they never get it done and pretty much make a mess.its a lot of work already ,using the wrong tools just makes it harder.HF die grinders and side grinder for 10-15.00 ea...you could get a handfull of different tools for 50.00. more with a coupon and wait till everythings on sale...
go with air you'll be much happier..I cant think of a better hobby but to really enjoy it you need to start with a few basic tools then it wont be like work you'll actually enjoy doing it.
I understand money's tight so what I would recommend doing is talking to a few shops around your area maybe they'll trade some labor for use of the shop??? I know I would..because thats how I got started...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Cool. How long would the cheapie aerosol primer hold up out in the elements Here is some pics Brian of the rust on the guy I'm doing. How would you tackle this situation? The metal still feel very solid.
That aerosol primer is not really epoxy it'll even wipe off with lacquer thinner,dont waste your money on it ,if your not going to use a good epoxy to start with you should use the 1.00 a can paint not primer it'll give a little more protection and come off easier...you may get 6 mo out of it but you have a more serious issue here.... that !/4 has been wrecked and repaired so until you get the paint off you wont know how bad it really is the rust is a symtom not the problem ...I'll bet its rusting under the bondo...Now that brings up another point , chemical strippers will be absorbed by bondo so all of it must come off,every bit of it.Thats no trouble for a pro since we would want to redo everything anyways but for a newbie it might not be the way to go ...I would sand that 1/4 NOT chem strip it. it might have bondo all the way to the wheel well and you dont want to redo all that...Sanding may very well be your only option...it looks to me the seams where the two pieces come together arent tight and moisture is getting between them,that could be a problem...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM

mustang or any

strip all handels moldings ect, buy a hutchens sander 2500 series, use air craft striper, one pannel at atime gloves eye were , plasic spreders to remove old paint , take doors off fenders, hood, ect and do one at a time time done , after striping wash pannel with soap and water then dry , then sand with 180 , the etch prime, then go to the next pannel do not use more than 80 grit , thats for the back yard mech ,no grinders ect damm fools lol
Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Mikey,Lowes has a nice electric DA ( dual action )sander for around 50.00 ..I use one in my wood shop..but you should really consider getting a compressor and one of those little side grinders and a few other air tools ...your going to need the air to get primer on the car anyways...You really shouldn't start stripping the car without have the proper tools...Harbor freight has a lot of tools that'll get you started cheaply they even have some paint guns for around 20.00 My bro in law bought a nice 5hp upright compressor that was returned and fixed then resold for 300.00 ...worth every penny...and more than enough compressor for what you need...I've seen guys try to make due with a drill and electric sanders and newspapers,they never get it done and pretty much make a mess.its a lot of work already ,using the wrong tools just makes it harder.HF die grinders and side grinder for 10-15.00 ea...you could get a handfull of different tools for 50.00. more with a coupon and wait till everythings on sale...
go with air you'll be much happier..I cant think of a better hobby but to really enjoy it you need to start with a few basic tools then it wont be like work you'll actually enjoy doing it.
I understand money's tight so what I would recommend doing is talking to a few shops around your area maybe they'll trade some labor for use of the shop??? I know I would..because thats how I got started...
That's true. Eventually I will need the air anyways so I might as well bite the bullet and get one. Do you do bodywork and painting for the public or just for personal projects? You stay in Augusta, GA and that's only a hop, skip, and a jump from where I live. If you're willing, I would consider you doing my car in the spring if you are willing.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 AM

Well Mikey,Its a hop skip and a jump for me too ....what I can do is come over and help you.I'm only here to offer help not to make money or drum up business...so if you want to do it yourself and learn ,I'll help ,but any shop can strip a car for you...Or ...you could bring it over to the shop and use my equpiment and guidence ,but you'll be doing it by yourself. I wont take money but if you want to do some work we can make a trade....Pm me if your interested...I've got two cars at the shop that need to be stripped ,when your done you'll be an expert at it...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.