Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Sanding, Dry vs Wet, Air vs Elec (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sanding-dry-vs-wet-air-vs-elec-1385.html)

Bluepen 05-11-2003 06:10 AM

Sanding, Dry vs Wet, Air vs Elec

I don't know if this is really important or not its really just for my own knowledge. I've been preping my truck for priming and painting and I'm doing it in my own garage and don't really want to soak the floor down with water wet sanding and doing it on my own its kinda tough moving the truck outside and back in by myself, two young daughters and wife aren't much help pushing. Anyway I've been doing alot of the sanding dry instead of wet. I have been doing alot of woodworking for many years and have gained a good touch/feel for what is smooth and whats not. I know for the final sanding before painting I will wet sand but for now I'm wondering if it really matters if I sand wet or dry?? Also since I've got a smaller compressor I've taken some of my electric woodworking sanders, random orbit and 1/4 sheet, and have been using them as well, with the correct papers of course. They have worked quite well for me. I do have air DA and jitter bug and long flat sanders just don't have large volume of air to work for long peroids without waiting for compressor to refill. The electrics and been fast cutting, lighter and easier to work with. I'm just wondering if any of this will make that big a difference in the way the final product comes out??
Right now I'm kinda working with the idea that if it works, just do it.

Thanks for your opinions on this. :)

[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bluepen ]</p>

Dragon J 05-12-2003 04:49 AM

I've been using electric sanders for years, Blupen and they work fine. Bondo dust is especially fine and if you use a vacuum attachment it keeps things MUCH cleaner. I do recommend a long board to get things really flat, but that is dry (and by hand!) Wet sand your final primer to get it baby smooth- get a buddy to help push it out that day 'cuz you don't want all that water in the garage anyway- I let the hose run the entire time as I wet sand,by hand- of course, playing it across the area continually. Good luck and hope it's in paint soon! :cool:

SWITCHCRAFT 05-12-2003 11:31 AM

i am also using electric sanders and i'm going to spray kandy and flake with a 4 horse compressor.......

it will work because my guns match the compressor pretty good

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: SWITCHCRAFT ]</p>

adtkart 05-12-2003 03:45 PM

The new paint won't care if you use electric or not. The only thing that matters is that it is smooth.