Sanding/Recoating IMRON Clear 500S - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 11:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Sanding/Recoating IMRON Clear 500S

I have been reading this forum since I started painting my own cars. I ran into a problems when using Dupont IMRON (polyurethane) followed by the Dupont IMRON 500S Clear. It says you can apply it wet on wet. Unlike PPG and Akzo Nobel Technical instructions, the Dupont does not discuss very well the prep required if you do not spray wet on wet, ie., sand with 600 after 16 hours or whatever. Anyways, I sprayed the clear wet on wet with the solid color. I go some pieces of trash in it and need to sand/buff or recoat to clear it up. If it says to scuff it up, what grit of sandpaper would I use with that. (600-1500)? Was thinking anything above 600 and the clear would not stick. I used a DA sander with 600 grit and tried to buff it back out, but its dull. Should I just be able to recoat it now? Thanks for any help. Opie.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2004, 11:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Re: Sanding/Re-coating IMRON Clear 500S

Quote:
Originally posted by flatheadfords
I have been reading this forum since I started painting my own cars. I ran into a problems when using Dupont IMRON (polyurethane) followed by the Dupont IMRON 500S Clear. It says you can apply it wet on wet. Unlike PPG and Akzo Nobel Technical instructions, the Dupont does not discuss very well the prep required if you do not spray wet on wet, ie., sand with 600 after 16 hours or whatever. Anyways, I sprayed the clear wet on wet with the solid color. I go some pieces of trash in it and need to sand/buff or recoat to clear it up. If it says to scuff it up, what grit of sandpaper would I use with that. (600-1500)? Was thinking anything above 600 and the clear would not stick. I used a DA sander with 600 grit and tried to buff it back out, but its dull. Should I just be able to recoat it now? Thanks for any help. Opie.
RE: 6 & 5 series clear:

This clear is not made to be wet sanded and buffed, yes you can buff but you may want to practice on your driveway first.
This clear is affected by humidity and air temp and size of air-cap as to when you can wet-sand and re-coat, thats why the tech sheets are vague, if they are.
Rule of thumb on this resin is wet-sand to re-coat in 24-72 hours, if it sands gummy, its not ready yet. High heat with high humidity can actually slow total cure down.
This resin has a high charge so it will stick very well to a 1000 wet-sand job or coarser with no problem
Remember this is made to be a 15 yard paint. From 15 yards back it should look good. Their words not mine.
(Not sure if it was 15 feet or 15 yards, now that I think about it, its been awhile)

Last edited by BarryK; 08-04-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.