Santa had some Pro Comp Heads in his bag - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Santa had some Pro Comp Heads in his bag

I just got set of pro comp heads. These are 59cc with 210cc intake runners. 7/16 studs with guide plates. Also got a set of pro comp head bolts.

Pro Comp roller rockers and Stud girdles with extra long poly locks.

Intake ports look good and smooth no real big issues with them seats seem to have a smoothed lip that was probably smoothed over after seats were installed. But really not bad looking at all. Exhaust ports look good as well easily will keep up with the intakes.

I got the heads with 2.02 stainless steal valves and 210cc intake castings, head bolts for aluminum heads, roller rockers, 7/16 studs, stud girdles with long poly locks. also came with short poly locks with the roller rockers. these were supposed to be angle plug but they don't seem to have much of an angle. Got the entire package for $995.00 from a guy off ebay that sells tons of heads for ford and chevy.

Here are some pictures tried to get inside the ports as best i could. Will try to get some better pictures of the port once the valves are out. But they don't look bad. A lot better than any stock heads. It does have the stud holes drilled into the ports. It does not look like it will effect flow that much.

You can also see the pictures in my album under my profile it should be public for all. Hope this works if not I will try to get the images up another way.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 PM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

I love Santa!!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Old & Furious

here are a few more pics.

let me know if you want to see pics of any other parts of the heads.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
Yes Santa is a good dude.

Brian
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

you must have ben a dang good boy this year ! cool present for sure !
Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I just got set of pro comp heads. These are 59cc with 210cc intake runners. 7/16 studs with guide plates. Also got a set of pro comp head bolts.

Pro Comp roller rockers and Stud girdles with extra long poly locks.

Intake ports look good and smooth no real big issues with them seats seem to have a smoothed lip that was probably smoothed over after seats were installed. But really not bad looking at all. Exhaust ports look good as well easily will keep up with the intakes.

I got the heads with 2.02 stainless steal valves and 210cc intake castings, head bolts for aluminum heads, roller rockers, 7/16 studs, stud girdles with long poly locks. also came with short poly locks with the roller rockers. these were supposed to be angle plug but they don't seem to have much of an angle. Got the entire package for $995.00 from a guy off ebay that sells tons of heads for ford and chevy.

Here are some pictures tried to get inside the ports as best i could. Will try to get some better pictures of the port once the valves are out. But they don't look bad. A lot better than any stock heads. It does have the stud holes drilled into the ports. It does not look like it will effect flow that much.

You can also see the pictures in my album under my profile it should be public for all. Hope this works if not I will try to get the images up another way.

Most heads of that size will have the studs threaded into the ports. To fix that after dissassembly torque and mark all of the rocker studs, then take a grinder and smooth down the protrusion, then disassemble, clean, and reassemble exactly as they were marked. As you said it's not a huge deal, but all it takes is a little time and leads to a more complete job.

I commented on another photo of yours, when you disassemble them I would REALLY appreciate measurements of the pushrod pinch and the throat on the valve seats. Also, anything you may find on the valve seats them selves and valve fitment.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I also purchaced a set of pro comp heads for what its worth ,RUN DONT LOOK BACK .i tried installing these i had to buy their extanded studs /my ARP would not go thru head drilled wrong . had to have remachined and buy londer head bolts,after i got them bolted on Intake would not align ,had to redrill an helicoil and angle cut to make intake fit,then exaust bolt holes only 5 were drilled deep enough to get bolts in ,naturally i had to drill tap & heli coil all to be sure ,i finally have the heads installed after buying longer pushrods had to biy 100 longer exaust and 250 longer intake because heads poor casting ,in process of pulling and replacing with Trick Flow --A direct drop on no problems ,hope you have better luck than i did . click on pro comp complaint site Before you install you might be able to return them mine are Big block chevy
Old 12-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Most heads of that size will have the studs threaded into the ports. To fix that after dissassembly torque and mark all of the rocker studs, then take a grinder and smooth down the protrusion, then disassemble, clean, and reassemble exactly as they were marked. As you said it's not a huge deal, but all it takes is a little time and leads to a more complete job.

I commented on another photo of yours, when you disassemble them I would REALLY appreciate measurements of the pushrod pinch and the throat on the valve seats. Also, anything you may find on the valve seats them selves and valve fitment.
The studs dont actualy show thru but the holes are drilled. These werent built by procomp. But im sure the holes are driled during production and they always drill them deep with all port sizes. Chambers are cnc and the seats were installed by the company i purchased them from. I can feel around the seat. And they feel pretty smooth between port and seat no real step up or down. I would say the throats are very close the the seat ID. I can feel a small bump but feels like it was already address when the seats were installed.

I will try to get some really good pictures of the ports. once i take the valves out. Might be after the holidays once i get a change.

What do you want me to measure? The pushrod clearence. The pockets all look like they have plenty of room. Just tell me or show me what you need measured i will get you a measurement.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
The studs dont actualy show thru but the holes are drilled. These werent built by procomp. But im sure the holes are driled during production and they always drill them deep with all port sizes. Chambers are cnc and the seats were installed by the company i purchased them from. I can feel around the seat. And they feel pretty smooth between port and seat no real step up or down. I would say the throats are very close the the seat ID. I can feel a small bump but feels like it was already address when the seats were installed.

I will try to get some really good pictures of the ports. once i take the valves out. Might be after the holidays once i get a change.

What do you want me to measure? The pushrod clearence. The pockets all look like they have plenty of room. Just tell me or show me what you need measured i will get you a measurement.
I was wanting the INSIDE dimensions of the height and width of the port at the pushrod pinch. There are a few ways to measure that, depending on what tools you have. The closest .10" inch would probably be sufficent, I just want to see about where these things have their choke point.

Also, on the throat, I was wanting to know the inside diameter of the throat below the valve seat- that will also give some insight as to what RPM they'll stall at.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I also purchaced a set of pro comp heads for what its worth ,RUN DONT LOOK BACK .i tried installing these i had to buy their extanded studs /my ARP would not go thru head drilled wrong . had to have remachined and buy londer head bolts,after i got them bolted on Intake would not align ,had to redrill an helicoil and angle cut to make intake fit,then exaust bolt holes only 5 were drilled deep enough to get bolts in ,naturally i had to drill tap & heli coil all to be sure ,i finally have the heads installed after buying longer pushrods had to biy 100 longer exaust and 250 longer intake because heads poor casting ,in process of pulling and replacing with Trick Flow --A direct drop on no problems ,hope you have better luck than i did . click on pro comp complaint site Before you install you might be able to return them mine are Big block chevy
These look good. I have certainly seen worse. I have herd some of the major issues with pro cops. These seem good. Ports are smooth and should flow well. I actually purchased procomp rockers and bolts as to eliminate some of the issues.

Changing push rod length is not un common the higher performance heads usally need new push rods. It is also common for different sizes on intake and exhaust with BBC.

These heads were not from procomp they are pro comp castings built up by a machine shop that focuses on heads. They use all these own hard stuff and put them together right. Hopefully they will work without issues.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I was wanting the INSIDE dimensions of the height and width of the port at the pushrod pinch. There are a few ways to measure that, depending on what tools you have. The closest .10" inch would probably be sufficent, I just want to see about where these things have their choke point.

Also, on the throat, I was wanting to know the inside diameter of the throat below the valve seat- that will also give some insight as to what RPM they'll stall at.
If you look in the second set of pictures i posted or in the album you will see a good picture of the pushrod port its completely open and could be cut another 1/4 to 1/2 inch mor with die grinder. The small hole you see in the picture is the guide plate on the other side of the head. The head itself is wide. The port is probably 1/2 thick and at the very top of the head. And you can put your index finger in the hole. The bottom of the push rod ports are all cut away and would not be an issue.

Got all kinds of mics and calipers.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I guess i just got a bad set ,its not that the pushrod holes were to small ,but that the rocker stud boss was misaligned which made pushrods on one head set about 30 degree angle on 3 pushrods the other was not as bad but still requured machine work ,I might be expecting too much for a cheap head ,I run brodix on all my raceing engines ,but this for my personal truck -street driven, scroll all way to bottom af this page look at pro comp remarks Again Good luck with youre build
Old 12-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I guess i just got a bad set ,its not that the pushrod holes were to small ,but that the rocker stud boss was misaligned which made pushrods on one head set about 30 degree angle on 3 pushrods the other was not as bad but still requured machine work ,I might be expecting too much for a cheap head ,I run brodix on all my raceing engines ,but this for my personal truck -street driven, scroll all way to bottom af this page look at pro comp remarks Again Good luck with youre build
Yeah brodix is top of the mark. I would say procomp is bottom dollar head. I have herd alot of issues with head purchased from procomp complete. They dont really finish the heads well. Best to get bare castings built up by local machine shop or someone you trust.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.