Sarah Palin - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

One resource we have that little is heard about is coal, we have absolutely huge reserves of coal. Coal can and is converted into diesel fuel and even gasoline but it is expensive and produces a lot of waste however we can absorb the cost and the waste can be dealt with, mostly sulfur and other substances that can be processed and returned to the soil unlike nuclear waste. Coal could also be used as a source of Hydrogen for Hydrogen powered vehicles and Hydrogen fuel cells. Using coal for liquid fuel is not new technology and has been done for over 60 years but again the drawback is the cost which may become more acceptable as the price of oil increases. I once heard an engineer say that the biggest difference between coal and crude oil is the density and if we are willing to pay for it we could make about anything from coal that we do from crude oil.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Interior Panel Cards
Last photo:

1. The rise in oil (then gas/diesel and then groceries) was due in part to speculators driving up futures prices. Showing the world and speculators we have the resolve to obtain untapped oil in the future will tend to bring prices down. You can't whine, "It won't help us today so why do it."
2. We also don't have the luxury to say, "If (W, Bill, Bush, Reagan, Carter, ..... - pick one or all) had only done this, we would be OK today. And since they are in that party, I am not voting for that party's candidate today."
3. If we don't take a balanced short, medium, and long term approach now, we won't have the strength or resolve to prevent China and/or Russia from just going into the north slope and taking the oil for themselves in the future.
4. Short - offshore and north slope drilling, coal, nat. gas, bio fuels.
5. Medium - Nukes (nimby's will just have to deal with it), bio-fuels, wind, solar, coal.
6. Long - He3 mining on the moon, wind, solar, nukes, maybe some bright young person is out there (maybe just a gleam in some couple's eyes) with a revolutionary idea we can't imagine.

You can probably tell who I am voting for.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Wow !

Waaaayyyy off topic here

Why don't you start a new discussion?

And BTW - I hope the next VP is a Hotrodding Enthusiast and wasn't just trying to pander to our huge demographic's and organized voting power
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
One resource we have that little is heard about is coal, we have absolutely huge reserves of coal. Coal can and is converted into diesel fuel and even gasoline but it is expensive and produces a lot of waste however we can absorb the cost and the waste can be dealt with, mostly sulfur and other substances that can be processed and returned to the soil unlike nuclear waste. Coal could also be used as a source of Hydrogen for Hydrogen powered vehicles and Hydrogen fuel cells. Using coal for liquid fuel is not new technology and has been done for over 60 years but again the drawback is the cost which may become more acceptable as the price of oil increases. I once heard an engineer say that the biggest difference between coal and crude oil is the density and if we are willing to pay for it we could make about anything from coal that we do from crude oil.
Around $350 a ton now.

T. Boone Pickens for President
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Oldred, I don't always agree with you but I do this time I a think you were very well spoken!

We need to wake up and become more aggressive in dealing with foreign countries drilling right off our coast. For whatever reason we are not allowed to drill but china, russia, cuba...and the list goes on can come right over and drill away.

As for Palin I think she has pushed me back to voting for McCain not because of her looks (which are indeed on a whole other level compared to your typical female politician) but because of the things she has done as Gov of Alaska and the speeches she's been making thus far on the campaign trail, reflecting the right views that have been missing from the Republican party (one of her recent speeches noted that government is usually the problem, not the solution.)

Finally back on topic: this is the first pic I've seen of her in a car. I've seen the one with her on the motorcycle and there is a movie of her firing a M16, so she's alright by me

I can't even imagine Obama or Biden riding in anything other than a limo or holding a gun. (other than Obama with a 9mm to hold off the Chicago thugs)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

But just stay out of Ukraina & Georgia, please...
And we won't have them inside Nato either.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
I don't know if she is a hotrodder or not....but I do know that she is hot.

much agreed. And she's a NRA member. Usually NRA+women would bring to mind some 'stereotypical redneck chick'... overweight, missing teeth, no bath since last week. Looks and bringing some 'typical middle class' to the 'NRA girl' mental pic aside, to what really counts when it's time to vote- I like her political stance, what she's done for Alaska, and that she's a moralistic and family oriented person. We need a good moral person in these desperate times, and back to a social standpoint, I think she's a great role model for all of your guy's daughters out there for being the right combination of 'strong woman' and feminine.

Compared to other women in politics, I think she's about as easy on the eyes as it gets.

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 09-15-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
"If (W, Bill, Bush, Reagan, Carter, ..... - pick one or all) had only done this, we would be OK today.

For all his many (a great many that is) faults you really should leave Carter off that list. The fact is if we had of listened to him and continued with the energy projects he started we would not be in this mess we are in today. Seems everyone has forgotten that Carter urged conservation, started experimental coal gasification plants that were canceled and never completed when Regan took office, put in the works incentives to produce more nuclear power and more gas and oil development, started reasearch into oil shale reserves, pushed for research on newer alternative energy sources and pushed for legislation for more fuel efficient cars. BUT then the price of oil fell and overnight we simply forgot about the long gas lines and gas-less Sundays and the new administration quietly canceled these projects in an attempt to help balance the budget. Nope Carter saw the problem for what it was/is and attempted to do something about it and whether he went about it the right way or not at least he tried but he just didn't have enough time to follow through.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWillie
That is cool. I am more and more impressed with the femailes getting into cool cars. I am taking my daughter to more and more events so she can see what a good time can be had around other people with your same interest.

WildWillie
Got my daughter into racing 5 years ago. She's now 21. Karts,dirt modifieds, and now ASCS Southwest sprints. She's having a ball and I'm going broke! Rookie year this year, 1-3rd,6-top 10's 8th in points. Thought I'd try to get this thread back on track....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bd_IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	32435  

Last edited by LOROLR; 09-12-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:02 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

carter & his tarmac pissing brother billy ........................ I am still laughing .
Two monumental personalties with superb intellect ..

Last edited by pepi; 09-16-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
carter & his tarmac pissing brother billy ........................ I am still laughing .
Two monumental personalties with superb intellect ..
Jimmy Carter was a disaster! when he was elected gas was .35 a gallon it went to over a $1.20,mortgage rates went from 7% to almost 15% ,I remember my girls were in grade school then and liked P&J sandwiches peanut butter went from 75 cents to almost $2 in a year, go figure!! Times got bad with Him in office,I had to drink Billy Beer 'cause it was $1.29 a six pack.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

That is pretty cool, odd to see someone in her place in a place like that, but it is pretty cool. Go hot rodding girls!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
For all his many (a great many that is) faults you really should leave Carter off that list. The fact is if we had of listened to him and continued with the energy projects he started we would not be in this mess we are in today. Seems everyone has forgotten that Carter urged conservation, started experimental coal gasification plants that were canceled and never completed when Regan took office, put in the works incentives to produce more nuclear power and more gas and oil development, started reasearch into oil shale reserves, pushed for research on newer alternative energy sources and pushed for legislation for more fuel efficient cars. BUT then the price of oil fell and overnight we simply forgot about the long gas lines and gas-less Sundays and the new administration quietly canceled these projects in an attempt to help balance the budget. Nope Carter saw the problem for what it was/is and attempted to do something about it and whether he went about it the right way or not at least he tried but he just didn't have enough time to follow through.
Very well stated. But you have to look at who controlled the "house" and "senate" back then. 'Ear marked' projects got a lot less "attention" in the media, than they do now.

Also, as you think back, John F. Kennedy was one of the greatest Presidents to grace our precious soil. He also was one of the last to have a commanding voice in both of the 'house' and 'senate'.

Looking ahead, in another 4 years, Sarah Palin could be another member of the elite Presidents, if she can do, what she is claiming to do, in our Nations Capital. We need a 'shaking up' right now. Go Sarah!
Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Jimmy Carter was a disaster! when he was elected gas was .35 a gallon it went to over a $1.20,mortgage rates went from 7% to almost 15% ,I remember my girls were in grade school then and liked P&J sandwiches peanut butter went from 75 cents to almost $2 in a year, go figure!! Times got bad with Him in office,I had to drink Billy Beer 'cause it was $1.29 a six pack.

I would find it hard to find much good to say about the Carter administration but let's be fair, gas prices had already risen well before Carter took office and it was the Arab oil embargo that caused the major problems anyway. As far as interest rates there were a number of factors there but again there was no way you can blame the president for that. Carter was only around for 4 years and he went into the Whitehouse facing the mess left from Nixon/Ford so he hardly had time to harm the economy or fix it as far as that goes, as far as gas prices and shortages that started before most folks in this country had even heard of Jimmy Carter. I am not trying to make Carter look good and if I were rating him on the 1 to 10 scale overall I probably would be looking at something with a minus sign but let's not blame him for the one thing he at least tried to do something about.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Do you know WHY the younger daughter is smiling so much ?

Cause she figures she is bound to grow up looking GOOD like her sisters and her MOM ...

NOT POLITICAL (my responce)

A wolf in sheeps clothing?

....All poloticians In My Humble Opinion, Trust No One

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.