SATA Jet 90 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SATA Jet 90

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here but I have already learned a lot. In hopes of repainting my motorcycle I picked up a large compressor, some accessories and a Sata Jet 90. I didn't know a whole lot about this gun but I am now finding out it sprays fast and is mainly used for production work.

Now I'm in the situation where I'm not having an easy time using it, like learning to drive stick on a Ferrari instead of a Civic. So I'm unsure wether to keep trying to get the results I'd like from this gun or trade down to some smaller like a LVLP Astro evo.

The scheme I'm looking at is a 2k primer, sealer tinted with lime pigment, auto air sparklescent lime green, midcoat clear with gold ghost pearl and finally a urethane clear. All paint was going to be Kustom shop from TCP due to great pricing.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Sam,
Years ago it was one of my favorite guns with a 1.4.
Anything from spot work to allovers, just a great gun.

A few notes:
This gun is a gun you hold 8 or more inches from the panel, not like today's guns where they are 5-6".

This gun used lost of air, 45-55 for SS and clears, 55-60 for the "old real" Imron.
Not 16-30 lbs like today's guns.

Will work for base but you need to choke it down, 1.25-1.75 on the fluid adjustment and 35-40 lbs air, 90% wide fan.

1.3 -1.4 tip is good anything bigger and make it a primer gun.

This gun will not be your best choice for fancy metallic s or tri-stages, will work but there are better guns for those applications.

Also make sure fan is right, this gun had a weakness for the air cap getting out of round often, its the only Sata to give me that problem.

A further note, I'm talking about the high pressure 90, later in the 2000's era they made one that was an RP and i think an hvlp but not many of those around as most of the 2000 RPs were higher price and they came out with the 90 as a cheapie for a year or two.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM

I agree with BarryK. This was my favorite back in the 90s. It will work for metallics and 3 stages, but you need to know how to paint and control a gun - a beginner will probably have issues. And yes, pressures over 45 psi were required for clears and single stages, but jobs came out nice. 30-35 psi for base coats. I do not spray primer in my paint guns.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
Sam,
Years ago it was one of my favorite guns with a 1.4.
Anything from spot work to allovers, just a great gun.

A few notes:
This gun is a gun you hold 8 or more inches from the panel, not like today's guns where they are 5-6".

This gun used lost of air, 45-55 for SS and clears, 55-60 for the "old real" Imron.
Not 16-30 lbs like today's guns.

Will work for base but you need to choke it down, 1.25-1.75 on the fluid adjustment and 35-40 lbs air, 90% wide fan.

1.3 -1.4 tip is good anything bigger and make it a primer gun.

This gun will not be your best choice for fancy metallic s or tri-stages, will work but there are better guns for those applications.

Also make sure fan is right, this gun had a weakness for the air cap getting out of round often, its the only Sata to give me that problem.

A further note, I'm talking about the high pressure 90, later in the 2000's era they made one that was an RP and i think an hvlp but not many of those around as most of the 2000 RPs were higher price and they came out with the 90 as a cheapie for a year or two.

Thanks for the advice...I also have it up on craigslist in hope of someone willing to trade a little bit easier of a gun for a novice to work with. Just doing motorcycle tanks do y'all think just a touch up gun may be a better idea?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saminaustintx View Post
Thanks for the advice...I also have it up on craigslist in hope of someone willing to trade a little bit easier of a gun for a novice to work with. Just doing motorcycle tanks do y'all think just a touch up gun may be a better idea?

Thanks
You should have no problem selling the gun if priced right, industrial painters, semi painters loved that gun but by today standards very inefficient as it was around a 26% transfer rating and today guns are 65-80%.

I'm not qualified for motorcycle advice but I know some painters use mini jets pn cycles and some use the Iwata LPH400LV also but maybe one on here can advise the perfect gun.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK View Post
You should have no problem selling the gun if priced right, industrial painters, semi painters loved that gun but by today standards very inefficient as it was around a 26% transfer rating and today guns are 65-80%.

I'm not qualified for motorcycle advice but I know some painters use mini jets pn cycles and some use the Iwata LPH400LV also but maybe one on here can advise the perfect gun.
You were right, was able to sell the gun overnight on ebay and picked up a blue point mini gun.

BLP10MHVLP, Spray Gun, Miniature, HVLP, 1.0mm tip

Grabbed that new for under $100 shipped so I think I'll have a nice setup once I get a filter.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.