Satin paint problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Satin paint problem

I sprayed hot rod flats satin black today. First time ever spraying satin. It layed wet and looked great till it dried. it has tiger stripes of glossy and semi gloss. I mixed the paint good. So after I knocked down the tiger striped with 2000 and 300o my satin semi gloss is gloss. How can I get it to look satin again. Wet Sanding it makes it have fine scratch marks and uneven. Am I screwewd and just gotta repaint? Any suggestion would be great. The paint is a urethane enamel single stage

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It may have been a good idea to let the paint sit over night...some products take 24 hours and more to cure and even out providing gun set up is correct.

Seeing that you have already tried to sand the paint..,at this stage there are 2 ways to go, they both involve painting. You could block sand the color you just put on with 800 grit wet paper and apply a matte clear or you could apply a quality satin Black over top. Tiger stripes on a solid color are usually gun set up and the quality of paint would have an effect as well, SPI's satin Black has almost converted me into liking it, this is a high quality product and much more forgiving than materials that may, well have some issues with quality and I feel that with the red on your car now, a satin black would look great. SPI's matte black single stage is very cost effective and well worth the time needed for shipping, unfortunately it only comes in gallons

If you feel that gun set up may be a problem, let me know and I can go through procedures with you to ensure proper set up is achieved. At that point you could try a test panel with the material you are using.

I'd be happy to help with whatever direction you decide to go.

Ray
Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

Thanks a lot. I only sanded in a little spot. But ya doesn't seem to getting any better. I'm thinking the gun was pretty good on setup. Did 2 nice wet coats with 50% lap looked all even till dried. Might go back to gloss lol
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Okay, if your confident that everything was set up fine...you can never go wrong with a good glossy finish...product quality is still always a good idea.

Ray
Old 08-25-2013, 01:31 AM

Last photo:

Ya I have had good luck with the products from this company, but something def went wrong
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It could be any number of things, even being to close to the panel with your gun could give you this effect.

Ray
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

on satin and flat paints I treat them like candies and use a 75% overlap move a little closer and go a tad faster. Also start on one side and work toward the middle and move to the other side and start at the middle toward the out side. I have done numerous mustang hoods this way and it works out really well.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Spi matte clear

Did this tuner car for a customer few weeks ago 75 percent overlap and slow activator had some tiger stripes when took this pick next day all gone
Old 08-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Excellent looking job Frank. That is exactly the reason I suggested leaving the sprayed material over night. A flat finish is very susceptible to any variation of mil thickness when curing...just as the product looks wet and shiny when first sprayed, any heavier areas of paint will take longer to set up and could leave a tiger stripe effect.

I paint everything with 75% over lap...just the way I've been doing it for years...if it works, I say don't fix it.

Ray
Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray
For being an old guy Im still learning from these kids,back in my day everyone wanted the shiniest job,now this?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL...I'm getting up there as well...LOL, I've never been a fan of the satin finish, on a hood, OK, but a whole car, I don't understand. I think it's going to be a fad just like Chroma Lusion was in the 90's...but, hey if the customer's heart wants, then they should have it.

I'm still learning as well Frank, or should I say just trying to keep up...LOL. Keep up the good work my friend, it does look great...even in matte.

Ray
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

well haven't touched it for 2 days and the stripes are still there... oh well... back to gloss! lol..
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I really don't mind the satin finish on a hood, I think it's period correct. Have you considered SPI's "Matte Black Single Stage", I haven't used it but have seen what it looks like and it's pretty impressive. The part # is 2201-1 unfortunately it only comes in gallons but even at that it's priced right at about $150.00, the activator is about $30.00 and the part number is 2102-4. So unless you have some Black base coat and clear in your shop or some Black Single Stage, this might be an option.

Ray
Old 08-26-2013, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

sand it shoot it again i used the hot rod flatz before and on my one i had nasty tiger stripes and since i recorded my self painting it i figured out every where i had a tiger striped i leaned in to close the panel and the second time after i repainted it came out awesome just something to think about

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.