Hot Rod Forum banner

Save an old set of stock valve covers. Why you ask?

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Double_v23 
#1 ·
Just a tip for those guys who might have to set there own valves. The first time I had to set my own valves a mechanic friend of mine helped me out. He brought over the clips that cover the oil holes in the rockers, however the oil still poured out on the engine and the floor. I told him there had to be a better way, so I took an old set of covers off the shelf and cut exact fit holes over the studs and took an import socket tigged it to an extension so it couldn't fall off in the covers and never spilled a drop of oil the next time I did valves. I don't know if they sell something better than the clips to do this job but for what it cost me I prefer the old covers with the holes.

#10 ·
wrong. IF you know what you are doing....you will be able to set them and be done with it.

You can set them with it running and when you are all done and there is oil everywhere and you have brain damage from all the smoke you inhaled. The preload will still be wrong.

Lots of people think you can set a motor "by ear" but in the end all you end up with is a wiped out cam.

Same thing as people who think they can set the timing "by ear" all you end up with is a motor that runs lean and hot and burns up plugs.

You need to use numbers and proven techniques that set all the lifters the same and to the manufacture specs.

#11 ·
setting a hyd. cam by ear has been proven time and time again to be the best method- as far as your set + 1/2 turn method I just helped a guy who did that and couldn't get his engine to run for more than a few seconds... once he had oil pressure the extra 1/2 turn kept the valves from closing. Know what he said? "I did it just like the book told me to!" Albeit he was an elecrical engineer and I get nervous when they pick up anything more than a souldering iron.

#12 ·
Double_v23 said:
wrong. IF you know what you are doing....you will be able to set them and be done with it.

You can set them with it running and when you are all done and there is oil everywhere and you have brain damage from all the smoke you inhaled.

Correct! do it all the time, as to bran damage and oil smoke from doing the adjustment .................. a bit of a stretch, would'nt you agree.

But the first line I am on board totally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.