Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Save it or scrap it?whatdyyathink? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/save-scrap-whatdyyathink-212491.html)

LATECH 01-14-2012 03:23 PM

Save it or scrap it?whatdyyathink?

I have an issue I have been struggling with.
I bought a 73 Jeep CJ 5 rusted so bad I needed a tetenaus shot to work on it. trouble is it runs good, has a 232 engine that is from advanced autoparts, probably has less than 500 hours of run time.drivetrain is solid.
Body is literally falling off of it.
Case in point...I was going to sell it for a plow jeep as it has a good plow, but it may not sell.I dont have a lot tied up in it cash wise.
I hate to see it go to the scrap yard but I dont have time for it now. My thought was that I could find an S 10 with a decent cab and frame and hang the jeep drivetrain under it for a real solid front axle 4 wheel drive.
Anyone done this swap? the frame width on the jeep and the early boxy S10 is around 44 inches IIRC , (as I was going to do the same swap years ago but never did) , which would make it fairly easy to hang the suspension shackles and all. so ......would you...

1 sell the rusty turd for scrap

or

2 park it in the yard for someday later to maybe work on.( and let the wife complain about the Eyesore in the backyard.

Dont forget I have a house to finish and a pontiac that needs finished.

T-bucket23 01-14-2012 03:29 PM

Maybe you could find a better body for it. I would find it hard to scrap something that ran good.

matts37chev 01-14-2012 03:35 PM

just buy/find a new tub :cool:

whyholdback 01-14-2012 03:37 PM

I'm toying with my own CJ5, as want a buggy based on a fabricated frame. Plenty of instructions and plans on pirate4x4.com, and I'd probably never get around to wasting $1500 on a fiberglass body tub. I want to see where each and every tire is at, for easy crawling.

LATECH 01-14-2012 06:46 PM

I would like to keep it around for a project, after I finish all my other projects.
Trouble is I dont want to spend a ton fixing a rusty old jeep. I live in the rust belt and would have to travel south and scour around some places to find any decent donor body jeep or S 10 to use.

Undecided what to do. :confused:

matt167 01-14-2012 08:33 PM

It will sell. usually An original tub that hasn't been replaced, needs replaced.. Tub replacement goes hand in hand with cj restorations.

beertracker 01-14-2012 08:46 PM

LATECH:

I vote for option 2; park it in the back under cover and find out how much a replacement body costs. It's hard for me to scrap some thing that runs good.

bt :)

crazypj 01-14-2012 09:14 PM

If it's only the body that's rotted, why not just find any old scrap car shell and cut the floor out of it?
Plenty of imports in junkyards with no engine/trans, etc.
Wont be a direct bolt on but would be different and fun

TroyBoy 01-15-2012 06:45 AM

Some good ideas on here. I would keep it also. Like the others, I would have a hard time justifieing scrapping a vehicle that ran good and had a good drivetrain just because it was rusted out. Park and tarp like said earlier. No regrets. :thumbup:

g&s restorod 01-15-2012 06:58 AM

jeep

I put a 66 corvair body on a cj frame and it was awesome! fits perfectly too. Used the jeep steering, wiring and corvair dash.. 3 of us had it roughed together over a 3 day weekend. Just bolted it on with some plates like a sandwich, you could use any older unibody car really if you wanted too

redlightning 01-15-2012 07:16 AM

I say sale it because.............you said you had other projects.I have three projects going on now (56 ford car, 54 f100 and the latest 95 mustang with ls1 t56).
I probably need to get rid two and finish one.Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Cape Cod Bob 01-15-2012 05:52 PM

Part it out. No eyesore-money for the chief :D

a67tempest455 01-15-2012 09:17 PM

As a guy with CJ7 and a 67 pontiac I say you absolutly need to keep it. they make a perfect hotrod pair. the jeep for when the weather sucks and the poncho for when the weather is good. jeeps make awesome daily drivers. as for the body. 4 wheel drive parts sells a CJ5 fiberglass tub for right around 1800 if i remember right. drop one of those on and never worry about rust again...except for the frame. perfect winter car. and there a blast to drive.
www.4wd.com

S10 Racer 01-17-2012 08:16 PM

It would make one bad ***** log splitter with a little work. :D

LATECH 01-17-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Part it out. No eyesore-money for the chief :D

It may just work out that way,seems a guy heard about it and wants the engine.So i can part it , keep the axles and transmission/transfer case or sell it, and scrap the rusty body and frame for a few bucks. I may get a hundred or two for the plow also, it is a meyers plow in good shape.
If all the planets are lined up.......yeah ---- right. :rolleyes:
The money from the engine would be enough to get the seat foam and upholstery from PUI or legendary, to refurbish the buckets in the chief. :thumbup: