Saving the Olds: Still at it, could use some spray advice. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Saving the Olds: Still at it, could use some spray advice.

Thought I'd start a new post since the previous 'Saving the Olds' thread is/was a bit wordy.

I ended up welding the holes from the trim I removed closed. I was able to do it with a wire welder and .035 flux core. Didn't figure I was going to learn any younger. Photo 1.

Drilled a bunch of holes in an old fender and practiced first. I hammered a piece of copper pipe flat and used it as a backing via advice I read here, it worked a lot better that way.

Ended up sanding the roof all the way down to bare metal, and the rest of the car almost to bare metal as you can see in the next photos. Photos 2&3.

I used the Valspar DTM 2035 I already had to prime the metal, 2 coats. I was trying for medium coats, but I think my gun is too small for primer really?

Its an Iwata Air Gunsa AZ3 HTE2 with a 1.3 tip.

Anest Iwata Europe - AIR GUNSA - GRAVITY SPRAY GUN AZ3 HTE2

I tried to play around with the settings some, but I didn't have any primer to spare and may even only be able to do one good coat on what I have left to prime on the metal areas. So I just used thinner to get an idea of how it was spraying.

It seems to go on ok, but I feel like I have to have the gun very close to the surface, say 6 to 8 inches and I only get a wet spray pattern about 4 inches wide.

Since I haven't done a lot of spraying, I don't know if this is normal for a small tip with primer, or if I need to adjust the gun way up?

I do know its hard to keep a good over lap this way because of the narrow spray pattern, and since I'm so close to the surface any slight deviation in distance seems to have a pronounced effect.

And its comes out pretty stripy looking, Photo 4.

Kind of hard to see in the photo, but between the gas lid and the taillight is probably where you can see it best.

I guess it won't hurt the primer to be a little stripy, but I'd rather the paint didn't come out like that.

I have a gallon of spi 2k for the plastic and probably over the dtm, so I will have some material to play with a little bit to try to crank the gun up if its possible.

Or is this just what I should expect shooting primer with a 1.3 tip?

Last Photo: Todays project.

Thanks, Brandon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldsprimer 005.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	713.8 KB
ID:	104442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldsprimer 003.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	104450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldsprimer 001.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	104458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldsprimer 009.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	104466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldsprimer 007.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	894.3 KB
ID:	104474  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.