Say hello to my little friends !!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 08:59 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Say hello to my little friends !!!!

Well seems some of us never learn no matter what. Today I had a problem with a sag, got it fixed, put on the first coat of clear and the problems began. Bugs, everywhere, bugs, I have never seen sooo many bugs at 2 pm in all my life. Here is where I screwed up.... I had added some retarder to my intercoat this morning and also my clear.... I wanted it all to lay down nice, and save me allot of buffing etc... When the bugs started pouring in and I could not keep them out fast enough with my trusty 3m tape, I loaded up the gun for the finalle..... I should have closed the garage door, but was afraid of dust falling in the clear lol... It had been about 30 minutes ( using Sikkens clear BTW) well when I got around to where I had started all of my friends started coming out to say hello!!!!!

I am hoping I can just sand the clear and re shoot. I made this mistake once b4 and had to sand to the base to get them out.... I tried re clearing and you could see them, it was a black bike, soooo hopefully this is going to be more forgiving. Take a look see young and old, and see how my smile has faded

BK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad gumit.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	4945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh my.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	4946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Son of a.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	4947  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

We have love bugs for the 2nd time this year. I am house painting inside and I have had to start keeping the doors closed.... Bugs suck!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

YOU paint it and THEY will come.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Solvent Pops

I forgot to mention in my rant, that all those tiny bumps you see in the clear are solvent pops. Somehow or another I forgot to mention that along with the bugs etc...

I am crossing my fingers they will sand out and not hit the pearl or base. Hard times boys, hard times

Matthew
Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

Wow! Well, at least they are small bugs. Could have been worse. Our 240, for anyone who cares to look very closely, has one of those giant mosquito looking bugs embedded in the paint right in the center of the roof. He sanded down nice and flat though so we just sort of consider him a mascot.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 AM

As said it could have been worse! It could have been me

Good luck with it either way it looks like a lot of work.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Say Goodbye

Here is what the paint should have looked like!!!... Oh well all things in good time.. Milo saved me from a repaint on this one boys!!!

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight cover.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	5016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Quarter.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	5017  
Old 05-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Last photo:

That is precisely why I have given up on the idea of painting my 34 at home in the garage. I have secured the use of a professional paint booth when I am ready. The primer is OK to spray at home, and even the base, but when you start with the clear, it's like a magnet for dust and bugs.

Vince
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Yeah Vince, I had contamination from my compressor being in the same room as well. Today I had to re clear a headlight cover ( sanded through ) and I shut the garage door, ran the part outside, shot it, walked it right back in and it had about ten different little spots of dust and dirt in it. I was going to have to buff it anyway, just kinda aggravated me that even painting something like that ( which i have done with great success b4 ) ended up with junk in it...

I will make a temp booth in my garage next time.... Looks like a 2001 Sport Trac..... Black.... even BETTER!!!

Matthew
Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Couple of tip's.

When you make your "door" to the booth, make it so the air being pulled into to booth goes straight to the ex. fan and NOT ACROSS the project.
Most put the door close to the paint bench for quick in & out and when they open the flap/door it suck's ALL the crap right across what they are painting.
Mine is at the far end right across from the fan which has been a big sucess in keeping trash out.

I do all my cleaning the day BEFORE as it will take A LOOOOONG time for ALL the dust to settle that's left. Even with the fan running,there is still a bunch left floating around.

When I do small projects,especally Helmets and things that are hard to buff and I want a perfect clear job, I will fog the booth with clear BEFORE placing the project inside. This help's to "wet" the room with a nice sticky to settle what's left and what can get stirred up. This has really helped with dust.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4Me
Couple of tip's.

Quote:
When you make your "door" to the booth, make it so the air being pulled into to booth goes straight to the ex. fan and NOT ACROSS the project.
Meaning at the end of the truck,or my exit door and exhaust fan at the same location??? This way anything I pull through it out the exit anyways right?

Most put the door close to the paint bench for quick in & out and when they open the flap/door it suck's ALL the crap right across what they are painting.
Mine is at the far end right across from the fan which has been a big sucess in keeping trash out.

I do all my cleaning the day BEFORE as it will take A LOOOOONG time for ALL the dust to settle that's left. Even with the fan running,there is still a bunch left floating around.

When I do small projects,especally Helmets and things that are hard to buff and I want a perfect clear job, I will fog the booth with clear BEFORE placing the project inside. This help's to "wet" the room with a nice sticky to settle what's left and what can get stirred up. This has really helped with dust.

Thank you very much for the tips, as i would not have thought of that. It is going to be for my wife ( Sport Trac ) and over the few years we have been together I have taught her too much concerning paint jobs.. she looks at cars/trucks and talks about them like a painter...sniff, sniff, she makes me proud!

One question..... Do you do your body work in this same booth to keep all of the dust and overspray from getting in the rest of your garage?? Or do you do the paint only in there??? My garage gets soooo dirty from body filler primer etc.....

Thanks again

Matthew
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 AM
Last photo:

Quote:

Dam!. why didn't I think of that

Vince
Old 05-19-2005, 04:56 AM

Last photo:

try this

Am going through the same gig. Seems the BC takes so long to dry and and then the old undercoat starts to react. Gotta go with light coats that tack up before re-coat just like in the thirtys...thats why I always hated enamel call it what you will pay more for it but it is what it is. But I did learn something you might use and that is get all rugs etc off the floor and wet it down if posssible, you might be kicking up dust you don't know about
Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

I try not to. If the weather is bad then I have no choice.
It's ALOT of WORK to get it cleaned out someday's.
I open the overhead door and just keep blasting air EVERYWHERE along with a wash of the "wall's" and floor.
I'm in the process of doing a 20' awnning out from the door's to work under and this should help keeping it outside as much as possible.But then again, I live "out in the country" so it's not an issue with the neighbors.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
But then again, I live "out in the country" so it's not an issue with the neighbors.
I hear ya, my back neighbor is a single older overweight woman who spends a lot of time on her back porch smoking cigarettes. One evening I was primering some stuff and she and a female friend were in her back yard. She was talking real loud about the fumes coming from my garage, loud enough so she was sure I could hear her. She has never said anything to me, but I know she is ticked off about it. That is part of the reason I am going to use a professional paint booth to finish the project. I will continue to primer, but that will be in a enclosed garage and I will wait a little longer to open the garage up after I'm finished.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.