Saying goodbuy to an era - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 PM

Last journal entry: Skinny Cab '77 Chevy
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Saying goodbuy to an era

For a week now i have had to sit buy and watch a local wrecking yard that i have spent many afternoons diging thru in salem oregon go out of buisness.This wrecking yard has been here for more than 40 years. I wish i had more funds.The only thing i saved from the crusher was a old chevy 5 window truck. My son and i were able to gather up full running gear execpt motor/cab minis the doors.front clip/fenders/hood/grille. and a few extra dash parts. I dont know the year yet. so well have fun finding that out. there were but a few friends that they allowed in to get what they could while the machines were crushing. so my son and i watched/stunned to see so many hot rod could be go in and get crushed. Big blocks 454/383/350/v12 48 lincoln 62/64/65 lincoln continental 2dr/4dr. a hole pile of doors/ bodies for the 2dr bug i convertable. 41dodge truck in perfect condition crushed before i could stop them. 9 inch ford rear ends gone. tomorrow i hope to go and save three 2dr model moris miners from the crusher. I dont know any thing about these cars. today was the first time i had ever seen one.I think they have great hod rod potental. My better half will shoot me if i bring home another project. So i am calling friends to see if they can help store them. My son dont understand what he realy watched today being 8 years old for him it was awesome to watch those masive machines take a big vehicle and make a pancake out of it. But years to come we well have some stories to tell.I know we cant save them all but if we all keep are eyes open. Who knows it could hapen in your neck of the woods. We can save them one at a time. This is tannersdad you all have a good night.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:

Thats a shame. It really is. You think they could sell the cars if they were whole and had titles to them.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:30 AM

Last journal entry: Skinny Cab '77 Chevy
Last photo:

I found out that they got in some finicial trouble and only have so many days before new owners take over. so come thursday every thing gets demolished .Buildings/fences/vehicles all gone. Down to ground level for new storage facility.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:31 AM
Heart Breaker and Life Taker

Last photo:

People just don't appreciate things anymore. Its sad...
Old 06-15-2004, 04:30 AM

Last journal entry: Interior
Last photo:

Unhappy

Sure, we can not save every car made but this is not what I wanted to wake up and read.

I am not sure how much time they had to get rid of that stuff but there are folks around that would have helped save a few more cars. Hell they could have sold that stuff cheap, scrap prices.

That is just not a car they are crushing. It is history and should be respected. Sounds corny but is true.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Yes, events like those not only hurt due to the loss of righteous tin, they cut a piece of reality out of your heart. When an eternal institution like that is razed, it feels sort of like the loss of family member and makes you feel abandoned in a cold cruel world.

As for the pickup here are some clues to look for as to year;

1947 - gas tank under bed, 9-plank bed, twist down door handles, chrome grille, hubcaps, bumpers, dash knobs. No wind vents - 1-piece door windows, die cast hood ornament, side hood ornaments say "Thriftmaster", black rubber door wind-lace, screwed in place, headlight rims chrome plated brass, wiper knob maroon plastic, rectangular tail lights.

1948 - Same as above but headliner center bow screwed in place, first 3-speed column shift.

Early 1949 - Same as above but gas tank moved behind seat, Hood emblems chromed steel.

Mid-1949 - Same as above but last lever action shocks, wind-lace changed to gray and slides into metal track - no screws, hood side emblems changed to 3100 for half ton, 3600 for 3/4 ton, 3800 for 1 ton, etc.

1950 - Same as above but tubular shocks introduced, wiper knob changed to chrome plated steel.

1951 - Same as above but only year w/ pull down door handles and wing vents in doors. Spedo goes to 80mph, mid year bed boards changed from 9 to 8.

1952 - Same as above but strips on dash changed from stainless to painted steel, Outer door handles changed to push button, wiper knob is maroon plastic, grille & bumpers painted instead of chrome, hub caps change from chrome to gray paint (Korean war - chromium and nickel are strategic metals), speedo changed to 90mph (with 4:11 rear end ratio, WOW!).

1953 - Same as above but hood emblem changed to stainless steel stamping, first year for left side fender mounted spare tire, last year for wood blocks under bed, First year for blue and silver I.D. tag on drivers door frame.

1954, early 1955 - New cross style grille introduced, one-piece curved windshield instead of split flat glass, hubcaps changed from CHEVROLET letters to bow-tie emblem, bigger, different design bed, round tail lights.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:32 AM

You have to look at it with a positive attitude. All your old cars just went up in value.
Jack
Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Gees Willys, is there anything you DON'T know about old iron?

Sometimes I'm just flabbergasted at how much detail you really have crammed into that big 'ol dome of yours.

We had a salvage yard nearby close up last year because of environmental guidelines. Everything needed to be up off the ground and not leaking fluids all over the place. I can't imagine what the creek behind that place looks like these days.

MoocH
Old 06-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Boy howdy, I am pretty smart alright but I plagiarized that list form Jim Carter's Antique Truck Parts catalog. The stuff I can extract directly from the old dome is getting less and less daily!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Thats sad, you would think the owner would be advertising like crazy to get the rare items he has sold before it all got crushed. Were there any other people there scarfing up cars/parts?
Old 06-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Probably make more money selling the scrap metal to the Chinese than you would parting one out.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

It's really too bad that the owners of these yards didn't realize what their "crap" would be worth in the future. Then, instead of sitting all the old iron in the weeds, watching them rust away, they could have gotten them up off the ground, where the would be preserved better.

Budget RVs
Old 06-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Yes, its a shame, however, business is business. Not everyone has the inginuity and forward thinking ability to run one.

Then again, who thought there would be a bunch of us taking time on weekends looking for that one piece to complete our rods?

Still comes down to paying the bills, having a roof over your head and food on the table.

Dutch
Old 06-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town
Last photo:

crushed

The way it works here, they want come in with the crusher if you don't 200 cars. so they let them have them'll. What is they say " money talks and bull s**t walks. Darn, I was hoping to hit the lotto sat nite. Well I'll just try again.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Something is going on here as well. The biggest local yard(if you can call it "local") Brandwine auto parts, or salvage is crushing alot of their cars and clearing alot of stuff out. Have no idea what is going on, but the only guy I knew up there left the company so I really dont know whats going on. Can't even get a little fuel cover latch for an 85 buick electra!

Sad to see some of these things get crushed, people just dont seem to want to rebuild anything, just destroy it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.