sb 350 camshaft installation New Or Old Gears? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SB 350 camshaft installation New Or Old Gears?

Ok so basically i have a cam that i took from a raced out SB 305 with 305 heads and i want to install it in a camaro that i recently picked up for cheap that has a SB 350 casting number (14093638) with 350 heads casting number (10110810). I measured the lobe lift on both cams, the old cam was Intake .251 Exhaust .265 the one from the 305 was Intake .300 Exhaust .300. I want to know if this cam will work properly in the new 350 with the 350 heads also the 305 cam had a double timing chain and gears, which i would also like to swap. But when i put the cam gear from the 305 above the 350 i noticed it was a bit smaller in diameter. I don't know much about swaping camshafts and need to know if i can swap the cam and timing chain with gears or just the cam and reuse the original single gear and chain from the 350 or none and which harmonic balancer would i want to use (also different in diameter). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Brawler; 07-14-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

don't reuse a flat tappet camshaft. don't reuse an old timing set
Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 PM

I understand u should just purchase new stuff but i had a runout done on the cam and have new lifters and pushrods i am only concerned because of the difference in sprocket diameters may throw out the timing i just don't want to smash a valve or anything worse. But should the newer cam work in that block with or without the newer double chain and gears? and will the size make a drastic difference? I just want to get it back together.
Thanks Again
Old 07-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

you can use a stock replacement chain if you want. they're cheap.

if you must reuse an used cam, you have to put the lifters back on the exact same lobe they were on in the other engine
Old 07-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You can reuse the cam in the 350 just fine, only if it`s a flat tappet cam, you must make sure the same lifter goes on the same lobe on the cam, if the lifters were already removed and you don`t know where they went, then you may as well use the cam in there or get a new cam. The timing chain is fine to reuse also. there`s no difference in small block chevy timing sets.
The 14093638 block can be a flat tapper or roller cam block, if it`s got a roller cam in it, and you use a flat tappet cam you`ll need to change pushrods as the lenths are different. If it has a roller cam then you can just buy the cam and matching valve springs. The heads aren`t that great, they are listed as 80-86 350 truck heads, most of these had big chamber heads and small 1.71 intake valves, and by no means a performance head. The only difference in small chevy timing sets was the later vortec blocks, but your blocks not a vortec so I don`t think you have that worry.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM

Would it not be better to use new lifters and pushrods? and if i am going to reuse the chain, gears and cam from the 305 in the 350 is it better i use the original chain and gear that came on the 350 or the double chain and gears i took out of the 305 with the 305 cam? Basically i would like to run the cam, double chain and gears from the 305 in the 350 but just the cam will do if it is safe. Since the gear diameter is a bit smaller is that safe for my engine and is the cam with the bigger lift safe to put in even though its out of a 305?
Sorry if this sounds stupid i am just really confused on how to tell if it all works together and i don't care about the block that much i have a newer 350 i am building for later just want to throw this together.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

The gear is not smaller, it just appears as so, there is no difference in small block chevy timing sets. they all interchange. I have a double roller unit out there that`s already been used on 3 different engines. Like I said, you can use the cam out of the 305 in the 350 as long as the same lifters go on the same lobe on the cam, it`s just that simple.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:30 PM

So everything should be fine only problem is that i never marked the old lifters because i thought new lifters and push rods would be better if this iss incorrect what can i do now
Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

You can use new lifters on a old cam, it`s risky, but it`s been done countless times. If you want to attempt this, use diesel oil during the break in cycle, then do a oil change and run diesel oil in it for the first 1000 miles, this would assure they have broken in properly. We have a cam that`s been in 4 different engines, each time new lifters were used, that cam is still in engine number 4, being used in a farm truck, and it still runs everyday.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Straight Diesel oil?

I used lucas Oil Stabilizer as an assembly lube i hope thats ok. And do you mean a full engines worth of diesel oil and is there different kinds never looked at it before?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Use the standard amount of diesel oil such as 5 quarts as your engine requires. Understand, big brother gov removed alot of the antiwear agents out of mineral oil, causing cams to go flat during break in, now the stardard procedure is to use diesel oil. Rotella perferred. Diesel oil still has the same antiwear agents and will prevent the cam from going flat.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I would move the camshaft (with new hyd lifters), timing chain and both top and bottom gears as a set from the 305 to the 350. I would also move the 305 cylinder heads to the 350 to raise the compression ratio. A high performance cam with increased duration wants a higher than stock (8.5:1) cr. The 305 heads (typically 58cc) will bump that up to 9.5:1 with a thin shim style head gasket. .015" thick
You can borrow the crank gear puller tool from most good Automotive parts stores. Don;t forget the new lifters. Dump some GM EOS in the oil and over the cam lobes to aid a smooth breaking. Go to your local GM parts dealer and ask for EOS (Engine oil supplement).
use the balancer and timing cover (with timing tab) from the 350, on the 350.
Install a new seal on the timing cover.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Ok guys i think i got it all. Thanks for your knowlage and quick response times i extremely apreaciate it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.