SB/BB Chevy: Basic Engine Building Guides - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

SB/BB Chevy: Basic Engine Building Guides

Hi All,

I have never built or rebuilt a motor before and finally want to tackle a simple rebuild project in the near future. Can anyone recommend a good book, video or a website that gives detailed information on rebuilding a small-block Chevy that is good for rookie-level mechanics? I have seen quite a few titles online with varying reviews but wanted to ask the experienced folks on here as well.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just google...book on how to build a small block chevy, you'll find lots of choices.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Hey 327NUT,

Thanks. I actually did go to sites like Amazon.com and found lots of titles. The problem is that for every five to ten positive reviews, there is a negative one. So I am hoping to hear from those that have read or watched a title and would recommend it without hesitation. I have no problem investing in several different titles but don't wana get carried away either due to rookie jitters.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy by David Vizzard is an old standby. Despite some questionable advice like to hammer the damper on w/a lead mallet, or to scrape the ring grooves w/a broken ring to clean them (both can be done, but there are better ways), it's pretty sound. Many thousands of successful rebuilds have been done w/nothing more than it.

The edition I have laying around was copyrighted in '78 (and has a different cover), but I see it was revised in '91.

It goes for about $15 on Amazon.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
"But how do it know?"

Hey cobalt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy by David Vizzard is an old standby. Despite some questionable advice like to hammer the damper on w/a lead mallet, or to scrape the ring grooves w/a broken ring to clean them (both can be done, but there are better ways), it's pretty sound. Many thousands of successful rebuilds have been done w/nothing more than it.
Thank you for the suggestion. That book seems to be getting solid reviews and your recommendation only makes me more comfortable in reading it. And if there is "questionable advice", well I can always freeload good, reliable info from you guys.

Based on what I've read, Im also considering Larry Atherton's How to Rebuild the Small-Block Chevrolet: Step-by-Step Videobook "How to Rebuild the Small-Block Chevrolet: Step-by-Step Videobook". I tend to learn through a combination of reading as well as visual materials and, based on the reviews, it should be a nice supplement.

I also found an eight-part video series on Youtube by realfixesrealfast (website). These guys quickly go through the tear down and rebuild process of a Chevy 350, while bumping up the cubes to 383. Based on my initial viewing, I'd say they may be going too fast (at least in the tear down part), but then again, I've never built an engine.

Any other suggestions, comments, and opinions welcome.

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I used BoxWrench's DVDr. Very easy to follow and they walk you through the whole process.

http://store.boxwrench.net/Basic-Eng...g-DVD_p_8.html

Here are some example videos on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5rLpbCgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57bn-7Az43M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIGZ...feature=relmfu
Old 03-18-2011, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

This is a job for the public library.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
I used BoxWrench's DVDr. Very easy to follow and they walk you through the whole process.
Thanks Super Beetle! The sample videos on Youtube are very good. I like how they not only tell you how install something with views from various angles, but explain how it works with the related parts. This set is on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8&4spd
This is a job for the public library.
Ah, this one hits close to home for me. Unfortunately, there aren't enough dedicated gearheads at any of my local libraries. They've got access to things like Chilton's repair guides, but that's it.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Some libraries don't have everything on hand, some will get you books from another library. The public library here has engine building books that go back to the fifties. They had all the car magazines from the 60s but moved them to another location. They will get them if you put in a request.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Some libraries don't have everything on hand, some will get you books from another library. The public library here has engine building books that go back to the fifties. They had all the car magazines from the 60s but moved them to another location. They will get them if you put in a request.
That's pretty cool to hear that there are libraries that hold on to items from such a long time ago. Those magazines from back in the day always make for a good read. Aside from good technical info, they also provide a good glimpse of the social aspects of the car world. But I digress...

Yes, the libraries do offer the inter-library loan request services. Unfortunately, here in California, the library budgets have taken a huge hit the last couple of years so many places are doing away with that service. But I'm glad you brought it up.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

They also have reference books that don't leave the library. I asked if it was possible to take a camera in. They said no problem. You can take a camera in, take a picture of the pages and download the pictures and then you can read them.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
They also have reference books that don't leave the library. I asked if it was possible to take a camera in. They said no problem. You can take a camera in, take a picture of the pages and download the pictures and then you can read them.
That's a good idea too. Or you can use the copier. And it wouldn't be a copyright issue since its for personal research. And with Chilton's manuals being available online through library databases, one can do it from the comfort of his or her home/garage/work, etc.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

They charge per page for the copier. You can take a few hundred pictures with the right memory on a camera and take pictures of 2 pages at a time.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 PM
"But how do it know?"

Yeah its usually around 10 to 15 cents per page. But yes, today's cellphones do take some damn good pictures. You, sir, are full of good tips.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM
"But how do it know?"

Apparently my question has already been answered several times in the Engine section. But, you guys definitely added more to a good list. My apologies if that is where I should've posted mine; I'm still in the "Basics" mentality so I always go to this section first, assuming the others will be more advanced.

Below is a list of threads that offer good titles, along with good information for the newbies.

- Engine Building -

Crankshaft Coalition Wiki: How to rebuild an engine

1-2-2011: engine building books

7-31-2010: How Do I build a 383

8-25-2009: Rebuilding a 350

7-6-2007: Books for engine building

11-12-2005: best books for building a flat head

9-7-2003: Look for info an building a 383 stroker

10-29-2001: Engine building

- General Hotrodding -

9-24-2010: Best Information

6-14-2010: Advice for engine selection and installation

10-1-2004: Building an Engine or Building a Combination...

4-13-2004: New Project? Before turning a wrench, get organized!

9-14-2003: Suggested Books

- Cams -

1-8-2011: Cam books

8-19-2009: 350. First build. Need help with CAM

You guys can add others you come across, if you like.

Tags
350, 383, beginner resources, chevy, engine rebuild

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.