As stated previously; verify the timing marks are correct.
- Is the vacuum advance can particularly ancient? I've never seen one go bad, but I have used the adjustable can before.
- Can you give us some specs on the motor? Does it have Vortec-style 305 heads on it per chance? Vortec heads have slightly different timing requirements. While this wouldn't be the entirety of the problem, it may not be helping.
- Forgive me for asking a simple question, but where is the vacuum line from the distributor connected on the other end? Is the vacuum line new?
- What carb is on this 283? Has the carb been rebuilt recently? Was it rebuilt back to a baseline tune? You really only need a 600cfm carb on a 283.
- Are you guys using an MSD type ignition box?
BTW 1st Pertronix conversion I did sitting on my couch watching a basketball game. In theory it could be a bad module but I HIGHLY doubt it. Was this the old, original Ignitor? Or the later Ignitor II or Ignitor III? The first generation had a design flaw; I seem to remember if you left the power on to the ignition too long, it would fry the electronics.
Last edited by AutoGear; 02-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.