SB pulley configurations? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SB pulley configurations?

I have a fresh rebuilt 62' 327 that I have trying to get all the right brackets and pulleys for. I have several brackets and pulleys that I pulled off an 84' 305 motor. I will also be running a saginaw power steering pump so I need a little help figuring out what I need. I have done some searching on this site and from what I can tell I need a long style water pump, and alternator on the drivers side. I have a short pump and nothing seems to line up so I think that my problem starts at the water pump I have. Zoops has some good info on their site, but their prices are a little steep for brackets and they start their small block configurations at 63' and later. Any info to help me get this motor on the road is much appricated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Last photo:

You are correct about the short pump, it is used mostly on early sixties engines. If you go to a long style water pump you will have many more options as far as pulleys and brackets.

Vince
Old 08-16-2006, 02:29 PM

OK, so I'll get a long water pump and go from there. I notice that most places advertise that it will fit applications from 1987 to present? A 62' shortlblock doest have a different water pump, right?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Last photo:

A water pump for any small block Chevy will fit from 1955 onward. Now if you are looking for a later model water pump you will have to consider things like heater hose outlet position and some pumps have bracket mounting holes for specific year brackets. NAPA has a pictorial catalog to help you pick a year that will work for your need.

Vince
Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

You have to be alert to the lack of bolt holes if you have original heads.

I just went through this exercise putting my '72 together with camelback heads. I believe Chevy used the short pump until they came out with the heads with holes in the latter '60s ('68?) and moved the alternator to the right side. I thought I had it all figured out until I came to the power steering pump.

To make a long story short, I finally changed to bolt-hole heads and reverted back to the right side alternator and left side PS, with a long water pump.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:10 AM

I thought I had it all figured out until last night when I noticed that my head didn't have any holes in them, like you said. These are just redone heads so I am not changing them out because of one threaded hole! What are my options? All the braket configurations I can find all need a hole in the head. There are some holes I can use on the bottom left and right side of the block. It makes more sense because of location to run a power steering pump on the drivers side and the alternator either above it or on the passenger side, but I'll put them anywhere I can bolt them at this point.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM

Last journal entry: Latest pictures.
Last photo:

327 pully config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinpierce
I have a fresh rebuilt 62' 327 that I have trying to get all the right brackets and pulleys for. I have several brackets and pulleys that I pulled off an 84' 305 motor. I will also be running a saginaw power steering pump so I need a little help figuring out what I need. I have done some searching on this site and from what I can tell I need a long style water pump, and alternator on the drivers side. I have a short pump and nothing seems to line up so I think that my problem starts at the water pump I have. Zoops has some good info on their site, but their prices are a little steep for brackets and they start their small block configurations at 63' and later. Any info to help me get this motor on the road is much appricated!
I just pulled a 327 out and installed a 383 in my car. I think you ought to go to a long water pump as there are lots of options there for mounting alt, air condt & pwr steering. I put the alt on the right side on "march" (sp)
chrome brackets and the air condt on the left side. All fit well. I do not have pwr steering but would put it on left side too, lower than air condt compressor. I would recommend a serpintine pully system if you are putting everything in. I do have regular belt pullys in polished aluminum
and will sell both of them for 20 bucks total if you need them. E-mail me if so. STU
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I don't think you ever mentioned what type vehicle this was in, which can make a difference.

There are original bracket set-ups if you're trying to stay original with the short pump.

For the alternator, there is a lower bracket that bolts to the two front exhaust manifold bolts. I see them occasionally in the fast food parts stores, in chrome but you can grind that cheap stuff off. The upper bracket is a curved adjuster arm that bolts to either the intake or the water pump.

If this is a rear-steer vehicle, Chevy had a PS bracket that bolted to the two unused bolt holes in the lower driver's side block.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

this is just a idea that might not fit your needs...........

this is a lot cheaper than aftermarket serpentine belt setups

those no accessory hole heads might through a wrench in my idea (of course if your wanting the original look my idea is out also) I would recommend a original Chevy (87 up) serpentine pulley system, if you are putting everything new in. I have a spare serpentine belt setup with all the accessory's for my next SBC project. on the serpentine belt setup I have in my 87 Suburban (I'm replacing the engine in it now) I'm power coating the brackets and fan valve covers and a few other items, power coat chrome, not as shinny as true chrome but looks good imo and can be done locally.

like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-92...spagenameZWDVW

ON OLDER MOTORS YOU HAVE TO TAP AND PLUG A SMALL HOLE ON THE PASSANGER SIDE OF THE WATER PUMP PORT THE NEWER WATER PUMP DOES NOT USE OR COVER THAT HOLE you can see in the picture what the style of the front of a motor this came off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontofmotor serpentine belt system.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	14184  
Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 AM

It's a 54' Chevy 210 that I have dropped this 327 into, so the original is already out the window. There is plenty of room under the hood so I am not limited to where it can go.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

a local salvage yard quoted me $100 for a serpentine belt setup with all the accessorys . this serpentine belt setup will fit off a chevy 4.3 V6 or a V8

Mustangsaly

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.