Sb2.2 interchangeability question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sb2.2 interchangeability question

I am in the heart of Nascar Country and there is Sb2.2 stuff that is basically laying around for next to nothing, I have the opportunity to get some stuff from one of the Top engine builders (he won the a major series Engine builder of the year the last few years) It is essentially free stuff, but like a puppy, nothing is ever really free.

I can get heads, valves, springs, rockers and stands, cranks, rods, pistons, oilpans, valve covers, etc. But the one thing I can't get from him are Blocks. Mostly because they hardly ever replace them and all he has is stuff that is leased to teams.

I was wondering if any of the aftermarket companies make blocks that will accept all of the GM SB2 stuff, or at the very least, just the externals, I would be happy to buy a block and rotating assembly if I could bolt everything else to it.

Let me know if you know of anything available.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Here is a link to a GM SB 2.2 Bowtie Block. In the notes it says that a standard production block can be used if the correct camshaft, lifters and rocker arms are used.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev.../24502600.html
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

Very nice find, It seems that would suit my needs quite nicely, the only problem I can see with it is that it has a max bore of 4.155 (almost all the pistons available to me are 4.165 - 4.172) and that it has a max HP of 700 @8500 rpm which I intend to blow right by on my way to 850Hp@9000RPm
Old 02-04-2010, 05:55 AM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Sounds like it's time for a Dart block then.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

I agree time for something aftermarket unless I want to pay 8000 bucks for a new casting of an SB2.2 block.

After a lot of research and questions, it turns out that the two things are significant when bolting sb2.2 heads on a standard block, the lifters are at different angles requiring the use of offset lifters. Also, the SB2.2 heads have valves in different locations on the ends of the cylinder heads so a standard cam won't work but the problem is that most sb2.2 cams are designed for a 55mm roller bearing cam. So if these things can be overcome then pretty much any block can be used.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

You should be able to get an Iron Eagle w/o the lifter bores drilled. You can also get it w/o head bolt holes so a head can be located where ever you want.

These blocks are available w/the cam tunnel in a BBC size- I'm willing to bet they can also be had w/roller bearings as well.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Sb2.2

There are not that many problems.with this set up. Be conservative, Not All sb2.2 cams are 55mm roller bearings. You can have convention sb2.2 cams regroung to work with the standard block. This is not really expensive. This combo will make a very nice reliable street engine with truly exceptional street preformance with a 400 to 406 CID size. My cousin built a SBC sb2,2 head ENGINE WITH a centrifical blower and home made electronic port fuel injection. Idles fine and over 800 horse through a t-350 with a 9" ford rear. Very easy to haze the tires ant 70 mph. We took it to pacific raceway (seattle) is pulled a 10.30 with shuting it off at half track. This is an easy 8 sec street car and easy to drive. Sb2 and sb2.2 heads have real performance.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

I don't want to be conservative, this is going to be an all out drag car. It is going in a Back halved 95 camaro, with a 4 link, 9 inch rear, 40 spline axles, 32x16 goodyear dragway specials, 5.00:1 rear gear, powerglide, 5000 stall, and intend to get out of it what your Cousin was getting, except that it will be Naturally aspirated. That means it will be a 14.5:1 compression, 434 cubic inch monster, I have had the monster street cars but I always end up leaving some HP on the table so that I can drive it anytime I want.

Thanks for the insight on getting the Block without the lifter bores. I will look into it.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Last photo:

I would look into the dart block.. you can get the 50mm roller bearing in that block. like said before you will have to get a cam for an SB2 head/Standard block. Dont the cup engines use like a 3.000" stroke? I think if you wanted to add some stroke to the motor you would open your self up to alot of piston options. I know the dirt latemodel guys run some of the 390ci configurations and i am pretty sure they make 800+ on one carb.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

Make sure that you also get the intake manifold that fits the same heads you will be getting. I have used a lot of the former NASCAR engine components myself and also know others that have as well, and they are notorious for moving intake ports in the heads,moving spark plug holes, moving valve locations, sometimes an 1/8" or more, making an off the shelf intake, piston or rocker setup useless, without a lot of work or resorting to having a custom part made. Many of these engines are basically a "one off" piece of art. Just make sure all the individual pieces all came off the same running engine, and its not just an accumilation of parts from different engines. I had one set of Yates Ford heads that had (3) different size combustion chambers in it, enough that it was over 1 compression point different from the biggest to the smallest. And one crank that had Steel rods on the front rod throw and Titanium rods for the remaining 3 rod throws. If you unknowingly bought the crank without knowing this, it would have been a nightmare to rebalance the crank for a conventional setup, plus big bucks to do it. These guys really think way outside the box when they do mods like this, and also have endless resources at their disposal to do them that the average guy doesn't have. It sounds like an awesome deal for you, but dont let the fact that it is cheap for you to acquire cloud some of these issues that might or might not enter into the equation for you. Good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You should be able to get an Iron Eagle w/o the lifter bores drilled. You can also get it w/o head bolt holes so a head can be located where ever you want.

These blocks are available w/the cam tunnel in a BBC size- I'm willing to bet they can also be had w/roller bearings as well.
Shortly after this post I emailed World to see what they had available. That was 4-5 working days ago and I've yet to receive an answer from them.

Not saying that they won't answer my questions, but damn- I think I should have heard back from them by now.

Dart responded in 2 hours from when I emailed them.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

I have heard the same things from several people about the customer service over there. I also have heard alot of bad things about Worlds blocks.

What did Dart say? How do you order something like that?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude
Make sure that you also get the intake manifold that fits the same heads you will be getting. I have used a lot of the former NASCAR engine components myself and also know others that have as well, and they are notorious for moving intake ports in the heads,moving spark plug holes, moving valve locations, sometimes an 1/8" or more, making an off the shelf intake, piston or rocker setup useless, without a lot of work or resorting to having a custom part made. Many of these engines are basically a "one off" piece of art. Just make sure all the individual pieces all came off the same running engine, and its not just an accumilation of parts from different engines. I had one set of Yates Ford heads that had (3) different size combustion chambers in it, enough that it was over 1 compression point different from the biggest to the smallest. And one crank that had Steel rods on the front rod throw and Titanium rods for the remaining 3 rod throws. If you unknowingly bought the crank without knowing this, it would have been a nightmare to rebalance the crank for a conventional setup, plus big bucks to do it. These guys really think way outside the box when they do mods like this, and also have endless resources at their disposal to do them that the average guy doesn't have. It sounds like an awesome deal for you, but dont let the fact that it is cheap for you to acquire cloud some of these issues that might or might not enter into the equation for you. Good luck

Yeah it is pretty wild what they come up with, I know that he has at least thirty intakes available (some are factory castings) so it shouldn't be a problem, also they are from a major series and NASCAR is really cracking down on exotic engine building to try and limit the cost to the teams. Except for the cams and pistons, the engines are all pretty standard now. Unless you get some crazy R&D stuff. I did spy a set of titanium rocker arms from before they started limiting the use of exotic metals, I think they might come up missing.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_v23
I have heard the same things from several people about the customer service over there. I also have heard alot of bad things about Worlds blocks.

What did Dart say? How do you order something like that?
Never did hear back from World.

To contact Dart, I used the email form HERE.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last photo:

Just to update, I built the sb2, but I built it with all NASCAR approved parts, it is a 358 with 12:1 compression, it made 836 HP at 8600 rpm and was still climbing when the safeties on the Dyno shut it down. Should be in the neighborhood of 850 at 9000 rpm. This was with a 1 inch spacer and a BG 850 mighty demon. (not a NASCAR approved part)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.