SBC 265 Build - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Actual GM Engineering Reports May 1968

This following link will provide actual dyno numbers by the GM engineers. This is Not opinion, It Is, factual information that I have no reason not to believe. I rode shotgun with my brother in Daddy's '68 SS396(325hp) Chevelle during many street races back in the day. He would not race a 302 Camaro because he had seen a brand new one walk off and wave bye-bye to his buddy's 396 375hp Chevelle. olnolan Here is the link;
http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/re...bly/engass.htm

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

How about everyone quit ruining future search results by filling these threads with crap. Argue in the lounge or by pms.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I wonder how it happened that a '68 Camaro would be the 'original' Old Reliable and would precede the others?
After considering this for a minute, I'm thinking the cars are likely totally unrelated except by name- also likely there's no trademark on "Old Reliable", AFAIK. So anyone could (and probably can) use the name as they please.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippinRon
How about everyone quit ruining future search results by filling these threads with crap.
You mean by posting something that adds nothing of technical interest or value to the discussion? I'm reminded of something about glass houses...

AFA the "ruining future search results" of any given thread, the merits will be decided by those who look to this thread to find out info on the 265 SBC.

The relative interest in the SBC 265 engine to the hotrodding public at large is minimal at best. The info has already been put forth that is germane to the OP's question, so there's nothing inherently wrong w/discussions outside the limited interest of the 265 SBC.

Additional info will inevitably move in the direction of more common, more easily modified engines. Thus the discussion on the 302 SBC.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
I love super stock racing, but it has very little to do with a stock engine. They do make some incredible power for using "stock" parts though. The suspension and drivetrain is even more impressive.
In a way your correct. Look at the many stock & stock eliminator classes. In many classes the camshaft must be within stock specs as far as lift and the heads are " NO porting allowed" . One would think thats where they'd make all the power in theory. The point is that they're making that kinda HP with the stock spec parts.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
In a way your correct. Look at the many stock & stock eliminator classes. In many classes the camshaft must be within stock specs as far as lift and the heads are " NO porting allowed" . One would think thats where they'd make all the power in theory. The point is that they're making that kinda HP with the stock spec parts.
"stock spec" that's an interesting label. If it was just stock it wouldn't be one of the more expensive forms of racing for an amateur to get into. Its one of those "cost cutting" regulations that greatly increased the cost. It's all part of the fun though.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
You can only imagine some of the things we've tried over the years. While the engine is obviously important some of the things in the rest of the drivetrain are out there as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Any car in the '60's would have ruled the world w/nothing more than modern rubber. Add shocks and springs, etc. to that, and there'd have been songs written about them.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

The Engineering Documents

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/re...testreport.htm

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/re...estresults.htm

What no comment? Yeah, I had to pick my jaw back up too. olnolan
Old 02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
...I had to pick my jaw back up too.
I AM surprised the 180 degree headers didn't do anything more that that- but it didn't sound like they were developed fully.

The minor gains between carbs surprises me a little less. Much of that is quality of the A/F mix as much as quantity, and the larger carb would have better metering at max RPM compared to the 600 cfm carb- which would be at its limit earlier.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
"stock spec" that's an interesting label. If it was just stock it wouldn't be one of the more expensive forms of racing for an amateur to get into. Its one of those "cost cutting" regulations that greatly increased the cost. It's all part of the fun though.
Very interesting indeed! Thats the point How do you take a motor with a small camshaft and a non-ported 2.02 fuelie head and make that kinda of power?
In theory it shouldnt run that good. Again theory dont put numbers on the board. You are correct about the cost of those classes.. to rich for my blood
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Just shows that they were capable engines, just not in stock form. They did win a lot of races at one time, and no one can argue that fact.

FWIW I am actually in the process of building a 302 myself. It doesn't mean you can just buy into the hype because you want to believe its true though.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar
You can only imagine some of the things we've tried over the years. While the engine is obviously important some of the things in the rest of the drivetrain are out there as well.
I bet! I do quite a few rearends in the area for those classes and I always hit the guys up on how they make that kinda power and run the numbers. For some reason they always look at me and smile
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Very interesting indeed! Thats the point How do you take a motor with a small camshaft and a non-ported 2.02 fuelie head and make that kinda of power?
In theory it shouldnt run that good. Again theory dont put numbers on the board. You are correct about the cost of those classes.. to rich for my blood

It depends which theories you're subscribing too, there are many ways to work around those rules, its not simply a stock engine, if it was it would be dirt cheap to race in it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thankfully over the years they've relaxed some of the rules. The cams are just stock lift now, any duration which has helped in the area of broken rocker arms. The old cams looked like Acme threads which were brutal on the valve train. The corporate tranny rule helped a lot. Fitting 904 internals into the 727 case was stupid expensive. The any stock appearing valve rule is nice as well.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.