Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc 350 cam timing off?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 350 cam timing off?

Can a SBC run with the cam timing off? What would the symptoms be, and how can I test to see if that's my problem?

I will quickly detail my situation.
installeda '79 350 rebuilt engine in my boat. put all the original external parts back on it. Carb, distributor, alternator, etc. It's an old points style distributor, and I'm pretty sure I timed it correctly.8* btdc at idle. Spec from the oem manual.
I am not getting good power, and my compression is strangly low on all cylinders. I have re adjusted all valves to make sure they aren't too tight, and still getting low compression.
Compression is as follows:
1-112
2-119
3-99
4-109
5-105
6-100
7-89
8-107

This engine has 23 hours on it, it starts pretty well, and runs fine. Just underpowered.

I read a post where someone thought this was their problem but wasn't. A guy said that with the cam specs and a dial indicator you could check to see if the cam was lined up with the crank. I would like to find out how to do that if possible, before I pull the front cover off to visually check. Can anyone help me with this?