Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC 350 Crank Balancer Problems
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 350 Crank Balancer Problems

Ok i'm rebuilding my first engine, a 1980 Chevy 350, and i've had nothing but problems. It has taken so long and its just one problem after another.

The current problem is that I can't get the bolt that goes into the crank over the balancer and pulley on. Before I couldn't get the harmonic balancer on cus i was afraid i was gonna strip the bolt hole. Well I finally got it on and now the bolt which I've used 20 times in that hole that is most likely stock won't fit. So i've been having problems and now I think the crank is getting stripped anyway. Bolts still screw in but don't seem to tighten now. The balancer appears to be in as far as it will go.

What can I do? I'm currently freaking out cus this is about the 900th problem and delay I've had.

If I just use a half inch longer bolt and a couple washers along with some silicone or loctite or all thread or whatever will that hold it even though it doesn't wanna tighten?

I really don't wanna have to tap it or anything like that because I don't know anything about doing that and it will probably just create more problems.