Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc 350 cranks slow when hot
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since I've did many performance builds with headers and high compression and never had any starter issues says to me the chevy starter has no issues with doing the job, however it's important it be did right. Before you do anything first off, and this is vital, Improve the grounds. If you've got what I've seen on the majority which is ground cable going to alternator bracket that ain't gonna cut it. Run the ground directly to the block. Make sure where you connect it on the block is sanded down to it makes a excellant contact. Next run another ground from the block to the frame and again, make sure it's getting a good connection. If there are factory ground straps hanging around unused from the firewall reconnect them.
Next, get the vehicle on a set of ramps and torque the starter bolts to 35 ft lbs.
This is what I've did on each build I've did and none give me any problems. What made me start doing it this way? Before I did it my car ate a total of Eight starters and I'd decided enough is enough.
When you improve the grounds you'll notice everything in the electrical system will work better.