sbc 350 with dual flowmaster blowing twice as hard on driver side - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 350 with dual flowmaster blowing twice as hard on driver side

i have a 91 chevy silverado with a 350 that i switched to an edel 750 with dual flowmasters with turn downs it has beening running fine until the other day it sounded like one side of the exhaust was thuttering going down the road well today i had it running and it was popping through the carb a little but the driver side exhaust was blowing way harder than the pass. side. driver side will blow dirt and grass and pass side will barely move the grass. any ideas. is that normal for the exhaust. i even pulled the pass. side exhaust completely off and left just the header and still pushing out the same amount of air. driver side will move the skin on my hand. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you have a couple dead cylinders pop off a valve cover maybe you have a valve that isnt opening up if there isnt anytjing obvious start it up to see
Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Remove the passenger side valve cover and start the motor and let it idle. You're looking for rocker arms that move slightly or not at all compared to other rocker arms. Yes, it will splatter oil all over, but you can minimize the splatter with some cardboard bent into a U shape and held so that the oil hits the cardboard and runs back into the head.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

ok ill try that tomorrow if i get a chance and ill check the spark plugs also and let yall know. to me the driver side feels like its blowing to hard and the pass. side feels somewhat normal. but thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 PM

or you can turn the valve cover upsidedown to catch over flow oil
Old 11-04-2012, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

well i checked the spark plugs earlier driver side was more black than anything on all 4 . pass side was more tan on all 4. i think it was number 3 or 5 that was black all the way around. im currently running bosch platinums. im gonna take the valve covers off tomorrow. any other ideas if the rockers check out ok. im running with a edelbrock torker intake and 1 inch spacer under carb. but its never made the noise that its making now. thanks.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:26 AM

Last photo:

still nothing

i ran it a little bit without the valve covers couldnt really tell a difference between the rockers but there was one or two rods i couldnt turn. i may take the springs out to check the pressure on them. would the breather on the valve cover make a difference its on the driver side. could it be the driver side getting more gas make the plugs black and make the exhaust have more pressure and make the noise im hearing just wondering.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Old & Furious

Take it to a shop and have them do a compression and leak down test. I bet you got a bad valve or somehting else. Unless you have a compression tester or can rent one from local store.

The exhuast should be equal or really dam close. Something is wrong with the setup. If it was injected I would think one bank of injectors was not firing.

Push rods should be tight if the valves are open and should be loose enough to turn with your fingers if the valves are closed. You can turn the engine over by hand and see if they lift all the way up and get loose when they close. Always tight or alwasy loose and you have found your issue.

I usally check all the rockers with a small metal ruler to see if they are all going up and down the same amount. With in reason they will not be perfect but should be damn close. If not its your cam. I usally do this with the engine off and turn it over by hand for this. You can put the bottom of the ruller up agaist the valve cover gasket area and lean the ruler to reach the back of the rocker arm. Should be able to measure all of them the same way.

hope this helps
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

done a compression test today and my numbers are
cyl# pressure
1 155
3 152
5 143
7 145
2 50
4 42
6 35
8 49
Now what could be wrong. Is it an exhaust leak or all my springs bad on the pass. side. That something I had happen to the compression tester between the time from the driver to pass. so I went back to the driver side and number #1 was still 155.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.