Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC 350 Engine Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 350 Engine Advice needed

I recently acquired a 1971 Chevelle from my dad!!!! The engine sounds real good but I think the combination of parts are hurting the engine more than they are helping. I built the engine when I was 18 (12 yrs ago) and didn't have the first clue as to what I was doing. Dad knew how to put an engine together so that is exactly what we did. Now at I look back at some parts I used and I think we made a few mistakes. The engine block is a 1980 - 1985 350sbc Casting number 14010207 bored .40 over. The heads are Vortec Heads (bought new from Summit) Casting number 12558062 (milled for a higher c/r) I am thinking about changing the valve springs and rockers....any suggestions?, The intake is a Edelbrock Performer 2116. The carb is a Edelbrock Performer 1406. The cam is a Crane Cam with a 516 lift (I think the lift is way to high for these heads, can't remember the duration). Stock 350 crank that I had checked by a machine shop. I don't remember the brand of pistons but I do remember they were flat top style and a compression ratio of like 10:1 (Not engine c/r but the pistons). Not sure what the actual C/R of the engine is. I plan to go back through this engine and try and get all the right parts that I need to produce the best HP.
Any suggestions on what to do to produce the best HP from this engine? I plan to re-use the heads and crank but would consider swapping out the rest. I believe my dad has a Performer RPM intake that I plan to use.