SBC 350 into 95 Mustang HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 350 into 95 Mustang HELP!

So, as I was flamed by the Ford guys for trying to drop a crate 350 into my Mustang, and the Chevy guys laughed at my Ford, I figured I could try and find a common group where someone would be able to help me out.

So, Chevy 350 into a 1995 Ford Mustang. The V6 wont cut it. Im trying to do something a tad different. Everyone sees the 302's under the hood of most Mustangs but, I would rather turn some heads when the hood opens and have people scratching their head wondering " why is the distributor in the back! And why is the block Orange!"

Need some help with how to mount the motor and transmission. Probably going to use a Chevy tranny as well. If anyone has any help for me I would Greatly Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase, track width, and differential measureme...
Last journal entry: Upper P/S bracket made
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well, i cant give you any specifics, but i put a small block chevy and now a 454 into my 85 Ram pickup. Check my project journal and see what i did. If you have a welder and imagination, just about anything is possible.

Don't let anyone tell you what you can/cant do, its your car and your parts---quite frankly, the more people i p!$$ off with my truck, the better. Its all just nuts and bolts and metal.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 PM

No, no, no! Circle the answer not the problem.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

You'll turn heads, but people will turn to look at another car. Stay with Ford on Ford, want to be different, add some turbo chargers to the 5.0. Not only will you get the looks, but you'll have a motor that a SBC won't be able to touch!. No offense, dropping the 350 into a 95 Mustang will take some serious modification. And after all that work, no body will be impressed!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester
No, no, no! Circle the answer not the problem.
His car, His money, His parts----your opinion. Please post some info that will help the guy, instead of sarcasim.

To the OP, i know this swap has been done before, so some searching on the net may turn up something. If you look in my project journal, you'll see i used isolators from a 69 camaro and made my own stands from 3/16" plate steel. It was relativly easy, kinda scarey actually will the motor was just sitting on some wood, but if you tke your time, anything will be possible.

Headers may be a hit or miss, but again, a search on the net for swaps already done may help.

To bad your on the wrong end of NY, or i'd help you out....i am in Albany

Last photo:

What K member are you using? The AJE has a set of mounts that will bolt up to a SBC without many other issues. I have a friend with a 90 coupe that has a 427" SBC in it that rins 5.30s in the 1/8th on a true 10.5 tire. Now it has a motorplate but he started with the AJE CM and side mounts. We built the trans CM out of 1 1/4" round tubing and made it fit the stock mounts on the car. The rack is a little tight to the pan but you can get the lowering kit for it and then you have no issues outside of the bumpsteer kit, you will need to drop the outer tie rod ends to fix the issue.

You have more or equal room with the SBC than the 302, Lemmons has a set of headers that will fit with no problems.

A 408w in that stang will turn heads....And it will bolt right in.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ram
His car, His money, His parts----your opinion. Please post some info that will help the guy, instead of sarcasim.
I'm not being sarcastic. He stated he wanted heads to turn. Most people who own Fords, particularly Mustangs, are not impressed by someone putting a GM motor into a Ford. In fact, some are offended by it. I agree, to each his own and I appreciate everyones projects and the work they put into it. I'm merely saying, if this guys intentions is to turn heads when he pops the hood, stuffing a SBC will require a lot of work and he may not get the gratification he is looking for. I thought I was trying to help the guy by shedding some light here. Your right! It is my opinion, unfortunately, it is my opinion on this, that most people will agree with me on.

Last edited by kleen56; 06-07-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
I'm not being sarcastic. He stated he wanted heads to turn. Most people who own Fords, particularly Mustangs, and not impressed by someone putting a GM motor into a Ford. In fact, some are offended by it. I agree, to each his own and I appreciate everyones projects and the work they put into it. I'm merely saying, if he wants to turn heads, stuffing a SBC will require a lot of work and he may not get the gratification he is looking for. I thought I was trying to help the guy here. Your right! It is my opinion, unfortunately, it is my opinion on this, that most people will agree with me on.
I know thousands of Ford people that would agree..... A sbc in a ford car makes me wanna puke and then get violent.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleen56
I'm not being sarcastic.
Reread my quote andd comments, they weren't directed towards you. I know something like this is out of the norm, but what they hey---right?

Don't worry, as a die hard Mopar guy, i had guys in our club falling over thier jaws when i told them what i was doing. I figured now, if i was going to do it, i better run a big block and make it run, or else i will really be laughed at---and i got a decent deal on a 454.

Its funny, i watch comments on such swaps, i either see purists that are screaming all the way or very open minded people that are rooting all the way. I see very few people that will say something like, its ok and neat, but i wouldn't have done it.--then just accept it and move on. Its like everything else, everyone has an opinion, right, wrong, or otherwise. As far as cars are concerned, if its built nice and properly with quality work, then its all good to me no matter what it is.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester
I know thousands of Ford people that would agree..... A sbc in a ford car makes me wanna puke and then get violent.
If it makes you feel any better, i do pretty much feel the same way when a model T gets hot rodded with a SBC seeing that i own a bone stock 1920 model, but again, everyone has their own thing they do, and so it goes.....
Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I have a 94 GT that I was not that impressed with.I got a deal on some GT40P heads and at the same time I added a trick flow stage one cam.
I have to say I like the car now.
You can probably get an explorer engine for 300$ to 500$ and add the cam and have the same thing that I have and be a lot easier and cheaper than adding the sbc.
But if you want a sbc,go for it.Best of luck with your project.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM
loves ex cop cars

Last photo:

GO AHEAD AND MAKE MY DAY MY 87 350CI CAPRICE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU ,ALL IN FUN BRING IT ON MY COUSIN HAS 98 MUSTANG FULLY WORKED OVER, ALL FORD PARTS SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW OUTCOME WHEN WE GO HEAD TO HEAD HIS STANG AGAINST MY 350CI.WE WILL BEING DOING THIS AT ATCO RACEWAY IN NJ.BTW HE HAS A 302CI.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

why go to a chevy motor??if you want to turn some heads ,,use a ford diesel out of s newer f350,,with a chip and done right,,i've seen them smoke a vette,, and camero's.. in a stock truck!! now thats impressive!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi joe
GO AHEAD AND MAKE MY DAY MY 87 350CI CAPRICE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU ,ALL IN FUN BRING IT ON MY COUSIN HAS 98 MUSTANG FULLY WORKED OVER, ALL FORD PARTS SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW OUTCOME WHEN WE GO HEAD TO HEAD HIS STANG AGAINST MY 350CI.WE WILL BEING DOING THIS AT ATCO RACEWAY IN NJ.BTW HE HAS A 302CI.
I'd LUV to take you on with my 410ci Maverick
I've got the itch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.