Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc 350 piston rings?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSDropout View Post
Is it unrealistic to think that the gap can be checked and hand filed as needed ? Anyone know if the filing machine is available as a loaner tool at any of the auto parts stores? Thanks.
I got all my parts back from machine shop, ready to build......trying to stay calm but all the fresh new parts have got me wound up pretty good.
EEEEHHAAAWWWW
Welcome to Hotrodders.

Rings can be measured/hand fit to the cylinders of an engine if you're willing to do the work w/a hand file. But you have to be careful to keep the ends square. Only file one end, leave the other alone. When the gap's right, any sharp edges need to be removed from the end you filed.

You measure the gap by placing a ring into the cylinder its to be fit to, then the ring is squared in the bore. You can use a ring-less piston upside down to press the ring in the cylinder with to square it. Then carefully use feelers to gauge the gap.

If you're using moly rings, you need to be careful to not chip the moly. My recommendation is to use a ring filer machine for this (I know of no 'loaners'), but it can be done by hand w/care.

All that said, there's little advantage in jumping through all the hoops. Just by a normal-fit ring set in the correct size. Check the end gaps as described above. A short page w/ring info is here.

Good luck.