Sbc 350 Questions on Machining - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sbc 350 Questions on Machining

OK so today i was removing my dowel pins because i received this block for free and i deglazed it with a nice crosshatch i believe. my problem is i gouged the deck and i know im going to need it decked and decking is a good idea anyway when shooting for a 400+hp build but im so disappointed i screwed this up. plus another dowel pin i had to push through then drill it out because it wouldn't come out for the life of me. now the dowel pin wont even fit in the whole right... is my block totally junked. Help me out guys.

Tucci
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1470.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	72276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1473.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	72277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1467.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	72278  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM

the circular scoring doesn't appear that terribly deep, depending on your piston pin height, you'll probably be ok. i would be concerned about what looks like might be cracks coming from the dowel pin hole outward in the last picture.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

ya i don't know because the gouge or whatever goes right in the the steam hole. but the dowel pin i had to drill out look cracked around it cause i accidently indented it with a screwdriver. i feel like a complete moron oh well at least i learn from it. because of the power i want to make im going to have it decked anyway and all necessary machining done. just disappointed in myself.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

If the hole is going to need to be re-welded and machined,that potentially could get expensive.Those Scotch bright gasket removal disc in a air cut-off tool is misleading.I have them and rarely every use them.Maybe on a occasion on a slightly rusted patch panel for rust repair.I am confused why you didn't leave the pins alone to have the machine shop doing the decking to remove.

I'm sure you realize by now,but just in case,Never on any aluminum heads.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

The scratches are not in a critical area and will not bother gasket seal. Lightly run a sharp file over it once to remove any high area and run it.
The guide pin can be tightened up with a home made knurl. Lay a piece of hardware store rod on a vise and deform the very end with a sharp chisel. Make a cris cross angle pattern/ Then cut it to length and install it in block. Works every time.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Yeah Bob,if it's not cracked in the hole.I like a finished deck after decking to be somewhat ruff so the head gasket has something to grab too.But given what was done already,not sure with this O/P I would suggest flat hand filing(Sorry G/F,I'm just trying to help out). Might be a good time to get a trusted machine shop involved.

He if worried about SCR/DCR's could still set it at .010 down.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Thanks a lot guys. I love this forum. Guess ill have too see how much all this is going to cost guess it might be worth just buying the summit bare block bored .030 over already with it ready to be assembled already for 700$$$ just wish I could find a sbc 400 can't find any anywhere.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatheritalio View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I love this forum. Guess ill have too see how much all this is going to cost guess it might be worth just buying the summit bare block bored .030 over already with it ready to be assembled already for 700$$$ just wish I could find a sbc 400 can't find any anywhere.
You want the machine shop that is doing the bore to have the pistons to be used in hand for a final bore size.So I think really to have a bored block in advance of that isn't any advantage at all.

If you have to replace this block,there are a boat load at pick and pulls of L31 truck engines from the yrs 1996 to 2000.There are alot of advantages to using them and not the least of which is they are roller blocks.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.