SBC 350 Roller Rockers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Wish I grew up in the 60's

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 350 Roller Rockers

I have a mildly tunned 350 in my camaro at the moment and I want to know what kind of roller rockers i can put in with stock push rod, lifters, heads etc. Do I have to change the push rods to install any kind of rollers or will they drop right in with the stock components in the engine? Thanks for your time,
colin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:

SBC 350 Roller Rockers

I know a lot of people running roller rockers on near stock SBC Chevys with out problems. I might suggest Comp Cams makes good quality. There are a lot of bad quality parts in general out there. Any time you change your rockers check for rocker to spring clearance. The only reason you might want to change your push rods is if you have replaced the stock guide plates, the Push rods are worn or your valve train geometry is off. Moroso makes a tool to check your valve train geometry, it cheep, and it works. It looks like a plastic rocker. Ask Summit or Jeg's about it. Depending on the cam you currently have you might consider 1.6 rockers to increase lift.

Bob
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
AKA Lee in KC

Last photo:

With all due respect, why do you want to install roller rockers on a "mildly tuned" motor? You're not going see any noticeable improvement in performance. There are much better ways to spend your money if you're looking for more power.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNTRCI-T
With all due respect, why do you want to install roller rockers on a "mildly tuned" motor? You're not going see any noticeable improvement in performance. There are much better ways to spend your money if you're looking for more power.
It's not all about performance. The benefits of roller rockers or roller tipped rockers is well known. Less side load on valve stems equals less valve guide wear. The roller on top of the valve stem imparts less wear on the valve stem than a standard rocker.

FWIW, Comp Cams Magnum roller tipped rockers are a very good buy. They can be had on Ebay from certified Comp Cams dealers for about $160.

Vince
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Been using in 1.6 Ratio Scorpions (made in USA) in the wife's Vette for several years. Excellent service.

Pat
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I'm running Crane's on my 350 and Harland Sharps on my sons 400. Just remember, if you go with FULL roller rockers, the stock valve covers will NOT work. You will need what is called "tall" covers. And this too, most aftermarket covers have really crappy oil baffles so expect to suck some oil up the PCV valve too.
Been there and STILL doing it!

Mark
Old 10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Roller tips alone are of little benefit. Get a full roller (with roller fulcrums too) or save your money. Avoid Proforms and other Chinese junk. I've seen these fall apart in a few thousand street miles. I've got a set of 1.6 CC Pro Magnums on the Vette. They've got over 25K miles on them with no problems. Crane Golds are nice too and I've heard of a lot of guys happy with the Scorpions, although I have heard of an isolated problem or two. If you're changing the ratio from stock to 1.6, you'll also want to upgrade your springs for the additional lift. To not do so would be courting big problems. If your pushrods are adequate for the job at hand, the length needed probably won't change. But check the geometry after installation to be sure.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Roller rockers

If you decide to go with roller rockers be sure to check the valve geometry. I had to use longer pushrods to get mine to center on the valve properly. 383 SBC, Trick Flow Heads and Trick Flow roller rockers. I used the same Trick Flow heads on a 350 with stock style rockers and in that case the stock pushrod length was correct.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Wish I grew up in the 60's

Last photo:

Well the engine has a new comp cam, intake, and its bored .40 over. Is there any reason to put these roller rockers on? I'm trying to find some more bolt on performance without buying new heads or anything. I'm a college student and a little short on the cash side. The engine makes about 330 hp and i really wanted to get it closer to 400 but with a two bolt im not sure how much more i want to put in. Any suggestions for some power if you think roller rockers won't give me much?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colincamaro
I'm trying to find some more bolt on performance without buying new heads or anything.
Depending on the style heads you have ... these can be a good choice ...

The factory GM roller rockers will fit under the stock 87 up centerbolt valve covers ... if you do not have a camshaft with over .500 lift.

I have run these a lot of miles ... without a single failure. You have but them in 1.5 or 1.6 ratio. The 1.6 ratio ones will give you a little more lift ...

Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:

SBC 350 Roller Rockers

If you don't have headers and a good exhaust I would do that first.

Bob
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Back Yard Junky :)

Last photo:
Location: Around the Corner from the middle of nowhere... Arden Ontario

If your looking for 50 feet of rubber Upgrade you stock rear gears that are probually 3:08s to 3:73's/4:11's

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.