Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc 350, What would be best for short block build?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 350, What would be best for short block build?

Hello guys I got a 96 s10 with a 350 vortec in it last week and I am going to take it out next spring and get a new 350 put in. What I am wanting is something that I can get decent fuel mileage about 18-19mpg and not break the bank and make around 300 to 325 hp. Heads I don't know yet but the short block I am trying to decide what would be the best build. The first one is a GM L31 short block 350 4bolt main 1 piece rear main seal and a cast nodular iron crank.

It has powder metal connecting rods, with cast alumminum pistons. That goes for around $1,200 to $1,500 depending on the site I would get it from. Has anyone gotten one of them and how good are they wise up to say 6000 rpm? The other route I was thinking of doing even though it would cost more is get a new gm block 1 piece for a roller setup and a Scat Cast steel crank, Scat 4340 connecing rods with capscrew bolts and Speed Pro Hypereutectic pistons. Then I would top it off with either an edelbrock performer intake or one of the new weiand street warrior intakes.

Cam I don't know yet but I want it to give me a nice lopey idle but still be nice running and work on a 2000 stall converter. Any suggestions on cam choice and short block would help. Also I just want to get stock type replacement heads but don't want to use the vortec's just something similar but aftermarket.
Thanks Eric