sbc 355 build ... any ideas HELP !!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 355 build ... any ideas HELP !!!!

Got a stock 350 block the motor is going on an airboat with a 2 to 1 gear box I'm wanting.g to make 400 to 450 HP and turn around 5500 to 6 k rpms. Can this be done on a $3500 budget I wanna keep it light so aluminum heads is a must any opinions would help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

First off, I'd like to ask a few questions. How old are you? How many years experience do you have driving air boats? Have you ever driven a car with a true 400 horsepower? As is a stock 350 on a air boat will make it fly, 400 true horses on one would make it go so fast the danger of loosing control would be far greater and the next concern is the distance it'll take to slow it down. I would start out with around 250 horses and go from there until I got in the experience needed to know what it would do and how it would act. I would get a Vortec 350, which comes with the good Vortec heads and you can install a set of headers, Vortec intake and a Quadrajet carb and already be at the 250 horsepower mark. I would run this getting my feet wet and would keep it until I learned the ropes. Why am I precautious like this? Because I happen to care about safety. You can't enjoy a airboat dead or in a wheel chair.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM

I'm 25 and been around airboats my WHOLE life can probably drive one better than you can a car no offense. I've had numerous boats all aircraft 0540 lycoming 300 HP surcharges 0480 putting.g out 380 HP so no a stock 350 will not do the job I understand safety and I'm very safe but speed doesn't just come from HP its a lot to do with hull type ect the boat I'm building is gonna be a drag boat the class I wanna run is is the 400 to 450 HP so any ideas fellas I would greatly appreciate it thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsh1
I'm 25 and been around airboats my WHOLE life
Wow, that long huh?

Check out these builds that will run on pump gas. Click at the bottom of the page to see all 108 builds....
http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html
Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Moose2

Last photo:

Just an opinion from an old gearhead: If you want to compete (not cruise) with a tweaked engine pulling approx 425hp, then you'll be asking the engine to operate under stress for a major percentage of its running life. In my opinion, if you build a tweaked engine for that purpose, then a budget of $3,500 may be borderline to see you through a season, unless you only intend to compete in a very limited number of events. In your case money equals stamina under stress, and without a sufficient budget you may be lucky to last a season....... Look at it this way; if you have to build it twice in one season, you'll be shelling out $7,000, which is probably a more realistic budget to tweak up a dead stock sbc. Good luck dude.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Moose your right better to build it right the first time than over and over and I don't have a problem putting money into it just as long as I get what I want this is really the first time I've messed with car motors usually aircraft but thanks for the advice

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.