Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC 355 Cam selection
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928 View Post
Vacuum canister for road racing / AutoX is a bad idea!

It will be good for one, maybe two cycles of the brake before needing to "recharge". You will have a false sense of confidence until you have to negotiate a couple quick turns and run out of brakes. Not the same as street driving and stopping at a light with a big cam. Higher idle rpm and initial timing would help more than a canister.

For AutoX your carb will need a few mods to perform well. I tried to get a nice Proform 750 carb to work with road racing and AutoX for a year and finally just switched to fuel injection.
Thanx for the heads up bro...the canister idea is now out. Im sure ill have to do a good bit of tweaking around with the carb to get it to run right on the autox this summer. But since i only do that 2 or 3 times a year its not that big a deal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
You can't reuse lifters without having them reground. The rpm air gap is perfect for your application, and efi will have many many benefits on your car but its not free, it can be cheap but not free. As for the cam get a small tight lash cam.

Pn 30121101 from lunati with face oiling lifters or grooved lifter bores.
Thanx for the advise on not reusing the lifters; you might just have saved my motor from destruction.

Well from what i can see the cam you suggested and the one Vinnie suggested are about the same and gives me a good idea as to what im looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
what is the car used for,road racing?street?drag?
The car is going to be 80% street and 20% autocross. Very little if any strip. That said i want to be a very aggressive street car. I thinkim going to go ahead and order the howards cam you suggested but stay with my air gap intake for now. Maybe i can trade one of my duel plane airgaps for a single plane at some point in the future and see what the difference is.